The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

trying to change courses at durham

im set to do philosophy/theology- and im trying to change to philosophy/politics
how would i go about doing this- and what is the likelihood of this actually working?
Hi there,

Every university has different policies about changing subject. It really depends on how similar the course, how soon you decide to change and whether or not the course has the space to accommodate so there's no telling whether it is likely or unlikely. Generally though, universities should be pretty helpful if you feel you are not on the right track.

My best advice is to get in touch with your university admissions (assuming you haven't started university yet, otherwise reach out to your tutor). Let them know you want to discuss switching course either by email or by calling if possible and they should be able to tell you whether or not this is possible.

Good luck!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
im set to do philosophy/theology- and im trying to change to philosophy/politics
how would i go about doing this- and what is the likelihood of this actually working?

Hiya

The best thing to do would be to contact both the admissions team and your department. Changing courses now would be more difficult since places have been confirmed but sometimes the departments are willing to accommodate a few switches.

-Himieka
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

The best thing to do would be to contact both the admissions team and your department. Changing courses now would be more difficult since places have been confirmed but sometimes the departments are willing to accommodate a few switches.

-Himieka

isnt there always dropouts at the start of the year- ppl not showing up/leaving mid freshers?
Reply 4
Hiya

-Himieka

i've already contacted them- they said something about an "expression of interests list"- and if i hear nothing back by the end of october- then its probs not gonna happen
Reply 5
Hiya

-Himieka

is it really really unlikely? i was told by some ppl (not from uni) that its easier in Freshers/uni because ppl drop out and stuff
Original post by Anonymous
is it really really unlikely? i was told by some ppl (not from uni) that its easier in Freshers/uni because ppl drop out and stuff

Hiya

I wouldn't say it's unlikely but it's more difficult compared to when a course change request is made before results day. I do know people who have been able to change courses once they started at Durham so it's not impossible. I hope they'll let you change it, good luck!

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest