The Student Room Group

Religion Politics and Society at King's College?

Hello!
I applied to King's for their PPL course and was rejected, however they have transferred my application based on my personal statement to a BA in religion politics and society.
I have looked at the modules and would be very interested in doing this degree, however I was just wondering if anyone could answer any of these questions:
1) Is this degree likely to get me anywhere in terms of employment? Or would it be considered as too 'soft'?
2) Does the fact that the degree is from a somewhat prestigious uni make employability prospect better regardless of what subject it is in?
3) I have offers for Law from Exeter, Manchester and Bristol and was wondering whether it would be worth abandoning these in favour of King's? (Obviously a matter of opinion but I just wanted to weigh things up)

Also, I am somewhat sceptical of the reputation of this course given that I cannot find much information about it, and it's required grades are AAB (somewhat lower than my offers from other unis). Am I right to be sceptical or would this be a good opportunity to take?

I'll be more than grateful if anyone can give me any advice :smile:
Reply 2

I'm sorry. I don't think I could be of any help, coz I'm just self-teaching AS, I don't know about these uni, and that's definitely not my field. I'm sorry again.
I would say stick to kings because I heard brilliant things about the uni. Also, the whole subject being "too soft" to get a job thing is a myth- There is no such thing. I used to think my subject (media studies) was "too soft" but then I found out the amount of jobs I am open up to after I graduate is so much and unlimited :smile:

I would call up kings college and then ask about what jobs you are looking into after you graduate. I would say if you enjoy the course then go ahead and do it. I have heard of many people going to different feilds related to their degree i.e politics students getting jobs in IT for example.

So I would definately call up kings since the uni is good and you like the course and find out more about it. Hope this helps
Reply 4
are you currently at kings, studying this course? if so, could you please talk a little about it as I'm in the same situation xx
Hi,

I applied to universities in 2011 to study theology, I missed out on an offer from Oxford but got Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Nottingham. I went to Bristol but found hard theology too prescriptive so left after the first them.

I found PRE at King's which seemed unique in offering flexibility in module choices as well as assessment methods. I took lectures in other departments including philosophy and got a first overall. I also did the AKC which meant I did law, music and psychiatry modules as well as getting an extra qualification.

After I left went travelling then got a job at a top technology company within a month of searching. I left after a year for a training contract at a magic circle law firm.

Obviously I am biased but would say great course, good uni (plus easier to get work experience in london) and no problem with career choice. Doing such a broad degree means you can bend your CV in anyway you like.

Hope that helps !
Sorry re-read this was religion, philsophy and ethics but really would apply to both.
Reply 7
OMG, I am experiencing the same situation now!! I applied social science but got religion politics and society. Did you end up going to Kings? I have the same concern as you. I got another offer from bristol as well. I don't know what to do now. Could you please let me know you decision? Thank you SO MCUH!
Reply 8
Original post by CLARAAAaa
OMG, I am experiencing the same situation now!! I applied social science but got religion politics and society. Did you end up going to Kings? I have the same concern as you. I got another offer from bristol as well. I don't know what to do now. Could you please let me know you decision? Thank you SO MCUH!

HEY im in the same positition as you? TwT where did you end up going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending