The Student Room Group

gap year or can I get into good enough universities without?

I made a stupid decision and took triple btec computer science, realised this was a mistake and decided to learn a level maths too.

I'm predicted to get double distinction* and distinction with an a in maths but could push the a to an a* if I really try.

would I be able to get into any particularly good universities with these grades? I don't really like to look at rankings seeing as they change so much in ones under the top 10 or so. would I benefit from taking a gap year and taking on one more a level to boost my grades?
Reply 1
Original post by maxtheone
I made a stupid decision and took triple btec computer science, realised this was a mistake and decided to learn a level maths too.

I'm predicted to get double distinction* and distinction with an a in maths but could push the a to an a* if I really try.

would I be able to get into any particularly good universities with these grades? I don't really like to look at rankings seeing as they change so much in ones under the top 10 or so. would I benefit from taking a gap year and taking on one more a level to boost my grades?

just to add, I did poorly in my gcses. nothing failed. just quite middle of the road I suppose(5s and 6s mainly)
Original post by maxtheone

Hi! This depends on what you'd consider a "good" university. Have a look online at some websites like The Uni Guide that allow you to search for what universities you'd pass the entry requirements for (with your predicted) and see if you like the look of any of them. Your choice in BTEC/A-Levels also depends on what course you want to do at uni as some may have more specific entry requirements than others so answering that may signal if you do need a gap year or not. An A and D*D*D are really good though!

Hope that helps.

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending