The Student Room Group

Dont know if uni is the path for me

I went to the first two welcome events for uni and I just don't know if its for me. I sat in a 1 hour lecture and found it hard to keep focus. Also , I do have some anxiety so it was all very overwhelming and i'm still not sure if I do want to study psychology. I commute , and even those two days were tiring never mind with 3hr lectures and studying on campus , also seminars seem scary. But I feel like 2 days isn't enough to judge it off. However I have 3 weeks after the course start date I can withdraw without paying any tuition fees. Im so scared that if I do withdraw and take a gap year , I won't use it very well and might end up in a rut doing nothing or getting a job I dont like. Also sacred ill miss out on the social life of uni as I already struggle to make friends.
You're not the first and for sure you won't be the last to have feelings like this.
Your Uni welfare service will be highly experienced in talking to students who are having wobbles and will give you the confidence to make the right decision.
Track them down and have a chat
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I went to the first two welcome events for uni and I just don't know if its for me. I sat in a 1 hour lecture and found it hard to keep focus. Also , I do have some anxiety so it was all very overwhelming and i'm still not sure if I do want to study psychology. I commute , and even those two days were tiring never mind with 3hr lectures and studying on campus , also seminars seem scary. But I feel like 2 days isn't enough to judge it off. However I have 3 weeks after the course start date I can withdraw without paying any tuition fees. Im so scared that if I do withdraw and take a gap year , I won't use it very well and might end up in a rut doing nothing or getting a job I dont like. Also sacred ill miss out on the social life of uni as I already struggle to make friends.

You can always try the Open University, which has online courses and get a degree. I have a friend, who did not like to commute to Unis and she has anxiety, but really wanted a degree. Online courses mean that you have your own schedule and you probably don't need to interact with many people as it is online. However, if you worry too much about losing the social life of Uni, you should talk to someone in Uni who can help you with trying to focus in lectures/seminars.
Original post by Ittocool
You can always try the Open University, which has online courses and get a degree. I have a friend, who did not like to commute to Unis and she has anxiety, but really wanted a degree. Online courses mean that you have your own schedule and you probably don't need to interact with many people as it is online. However, if you worry too much about losing the social life of Uni, you should talk to someone in Uni who can help you with trying to focus in lectures/seminars.

this! you can do courses on the OU and it’s cheaper and no commuting is needed :smile:
Hi @Anonymous #1

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. It is not easy to make important life decisions in a short space of time.

I would advice to speak with your close friends and family to get assistance in making this decision. I would also advice you to contact the university and see if they have other courses that you are interested in. Also, ask if it is possible to change courses and they will guide you on that matter. It is not easy to cope with social anxiety and bottle things up, but I believe you have the power to overcome such challenges by unpacking everything with someone you trust or a qualified counsellor. Never allow that part of yourself to define you. I believe you will find great friends one day and they will fully appreciate who you are. “You don't have to control your thoughts. You have to stop letting them control you.” Dan Millman

“When you feel overwhelmed, remember: A little at a time is how it gets done. One thing, one task, one moment at a time.” Unknown

With regards to a gap year, you could possibly complete a short course while doing a hobby that interests you. The University of Essex Online has a range of short courses that you can pursue in your gap year if you are interested. If your were to take a gap year, you could possibly experiment with different jobs such as dog walking, tutoring, waitering and more. From this, you could find your passion from experience and how you feel in the job.

If you need more information about the courses that the University of Essex Online offers, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Anon,

As you have said, two days is not enough time to make a decision. There would have been reasons why you decided to go to university and why you have chosen to study psychology. It might be worthwhile to think over those reasons.

University is a whole new experience! It takes time to adjust. Try to remember what life was like when you started secondary school. There were most probably similar worries and fears about adjusting to a new place, meeting new people, new classes and having new teachers.

Plan ahead for the long lectures, whether that's grabbing some coffee beforehand or bringing some snacks you can eat during the break.

See if you can make your commute any quicker, but if not remember that once you have done the journey a few times it won't feel as tiring as it did to begin with, even if you still feel tired at the end of it.

Check out some of the societies available at the university and try to get to some of the taster sessions. This will help you get to know new people who are also exploring new hobbies.

See how the next week goes and do talk to family or friends who have been to uni/who will be able to relate to how you feel. They might be able to give you some good advice!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending