The Student Room Group

Getting bad results and going to university

My A Level experience was horrible, my parents were both hospitalised a couple days before A Levels started and I’m pretty sure I didn’t do that well mainly because of this. I wanted to study Physiotherapy but now I’m taking a gap year and doing a random one year course. How lenient are universities when it comes to clearing grades and if I’m taking a gap year is it best to call and let the universities I want to go to what I’m doing? (BTW I didn’t do a UCAS application because I knew I would take a gap year)
Sorry you’ve had a rubbish year. Did your school know about what was happening and submit details to the exam boards?

You can call universities about clearing places without a ucas application but you would be better off (and less restricted) if you had a ucas application. Clearing is part of ucas so all applications have to go through ucas eventually and you will have more options available to you with a full ucas application.
Original post by jackcampbell2774
My A Level experience was horrible, my parents were both hospitalised a couple days before A Levels started and I’m pretty sure I didn’t do that well mainly because of this. I wanted to study Physiotherapy but now I’m taking a gap year and doing a random one year course. How lenient are universities when it comes to clearing grades and if I’m taking a gap year is it best to call and let the universities I want to go to what I’m doing? (BTW I didn’t do a UCAS application because I knew I would take a gap year)

I was in a similar situation. Horrible a levels, severe depression at sixth form. I had a gap year, earned a bit of money, then went to university. If I could go back I think I’d be more ambitious. I applied to the universities which had courses that had low enough entry requirements. I would study in your own time and try to make up the difference, buy an a level textbook and go through it maybe, or however you’d prefer to study. Then I’d apply to some of the more ideal universities and really try to argue my case because they can only say no.

On calling the universities, I don't know what the best practice is but when I realised I hadn’t gotten the grades to do the course I wanted, I never needed to call them.

Quick Reply

Latest