The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster or Bath for Biochemistry???

Daughter is massively struggling to choose between Bath and Lancaster for Biochemistry.
She loves both cities...Bath IS prettier but Lancaster is on the doorstep of the Lakes.
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same
Lancaster campus possibly slightly bigger with more shops/bars/eateries
Lancaster seems to win on cost of living
Bath placement programme is a big pull

Help her decide !!
Original post by Julieb3108
Daughter is massively struggling to choose between Bath and Lancaster for Biochemistry.
She loves both cities...Bath IS prettier but Lancaster is on the doorstep of the Lakes.
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same

Help her decide !!

I was going to say Bath as placements will count for a lot with future employers but then I saw that Lancaster also offers a biochem degree with placement.

I can confirm that the cost of living in Lancaster is cheaper then most unis and private student lets in the city are cheaper than halls in year 2 and 3. They also don't have a shortage of student accommodation that a lot of unis have.

Tough decision.

@Ghostlady any thoughts?
(edited 1 year ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Bath. It has a stellar reputation for its industry links and the fantastic placement opportunities it's students get. I've heard not so great things about Lancaster of recent and its Placement support.
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same

Help her decide !!

Hey @Julieb3108
Although I don't study biochemistry, I can give you a general insight of my experience here at Lancaster.
The university has a collegiate system, which means that it is divided into colleges, and you live in your college during your first year. This was extremely helpful to me since it made university feel less daunting - you're still surrounded by a lot of people (so you can quickly find the ones you want to be friends with).
I believe the campus is large and requires a lot of walking depending on where you are on campus.There are also numerous restaurants, two supermarkets, a playground, two beauty and hair salons, a post office, ATMs, and numerous study spaces located around the campus. One of my favourite aspects of this place is that I may choose from a variety of cuisines depending on my mood.
Lancaster's weather is arguably one of its drawbacks - it rains a lot!!
The town is smaller than a larger city, so there aren't as many shopping options- you may need to take a train to Preston or Manchester (both of which are fairly close by) if you want to go shopping.
I also agree in terms of the cost of living - it will be cheaper comparatively.

I study computer science and the lab sessions we have definitely prove to be the most helpful to me. Lab sessions are practical sessions with a smaller group of people from your course (about 20-30 people) where you practically apply skills they taught you in the lectures so you can learn how to apply them in real-world problems and do the given tasks. Having a smaller group also means that the teachers are more able to pay attention to each student, specifically if you seem to be struggling or have a question.

I hope that helps :smile:
Vyomika
(edited 1 year ago)
Both courses look great.
Offer is the same

Help her decide !!

Hi there!

That is a tough choice, just to mention that the biochemistry course at Lancaster does offer a placement option. I thought I could weigh in slightly as I have completed a placement year at Lancaster. I studied the Natural Sciences BSc with Placement Year and couldn't recommend the placement year enough! It was a great experience and I had a lot of support in the process. I studied an additional module in my first and second year which prepared me for the application process. Support was also given when reviewing the contract for the role and throughout the year which was really helpful.

Overall, the only advice I could give would be to attend open days for both and go with whichever you prefer the feel of. If both of them weigh up similarly on paper, this might be a good way to decide. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go until I attended the open day at Lancaster and then knew it was the place for me!

Good luck with the decision and let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

- Bethan (Lancaster University Natural Sciences Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Thanks both, really helpful. She has applied for biochemistry with a placement year at Lancaster too, it's just we keep hearing about how prestigious Bath is in terms of it's placements. Honestly, that's probably the only thing that's holding her back from firming Lancaster
Thanks both, really helpful. She has applied for biochemistry with a placement year at Lancaster too, it's just we keep hearing about how prestigious Bath is in terms of it's placements. Honestly, that's probably the only thing that's holding her back from firming Lancaster

Hi @Julieb3108

I have spoke to you previously about the support I received at Lancaster. I'm not the sort to "sell" my university on here, but that is an area that I can vouch that personally I had a great experience with, even if its not an aspect the university advertises on its website.

I am sure if your daughter is confident she wants a placement, and is willing to do plenty of research and be prepared for the various deadlines, she is likely to get a placement no matter where she goes. Equally, someone could go to the most respected university in the world, not put in the necessary effort, and wouldn't get a placement.

If your daughter prefers Bath it has an undeniably amazing placement programme and will give her excellent support. However, their students, alongside all others across the country, are applying for the same nationally advertised placements. I have heard some companies do have connections with universities, and will maybe look out for students from certain institutions when the next round of applications come in. However, these companies don't only have connections with a single university, and as most companies take on several students they are not going to all be from the same place. The company I am starting at in September does have a intern coming in from Bath, but equally has two students from Lancaster and others coming from Manchester, Loughborough, Aston, Durham, etc.

As always, I'm here if there are any course specific questions - I do agree with your previous post about her going back to visit each place more organically, I really helped me during my selection process.

Rebecca :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by normaw
I was going to say Bath as placements will count for a lot with future employers but then I saw that Lancaster also offers a biochem degree with placement.

I can confirm that the cost of living in Lancaster is cheaper then most unis and private student lets in the city are cheaper than halls in year 2 and 3. They also don't have a shortage of student accommodation that a lot of unis have.

Tough decision.

@Ghostlady any thoughts?

My daughters friend studies biochem at Lancaster and loves it. It’s all down to where she feels at home more if both unis are offering the same course/opportunities etc
Reply 8
We're both very much leaning towards Lancaster. She loved the campus and I can see / visualise her more there than at Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending