The Student Room Group

Upper body workout thoughts

Reddit won't let me post this so here I am. Doing this upper body workout 3/4 times a week, legs are trained separately. Not that experienced in lifting. Please tell me any thoughts, ideas, suggestions and open to all criticism. 6 simple exercises that hit the whole upper body.
Details: 19M, 180cm height, 80kg weight
Goals: hypertrophy and strength gains
Progression rule: Once i can do around 3x15 for the exercise, I increase the weight

start off by stretching.
1) dumbbell chest press 3x12 (15kg dumbbells)
2) assisted pullups 4x6 (40kg assisted)
3) dumbbell shoulder press 3x8 (12.5kg dumbbells)
4) barbell rows 4x8 (30kg barbell)
5) assisted dips 3x8 (40kg assisted)
6) dumbbell hammer curls 3x8 (7kg dumbbells)
then finish off with some situps and stretching.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by albayati
Reddit won't let me post this so here I am. Doing this upper body workout 3/4 times a week, legs are trained separately. Not that experienced in lifting. Please tell me any thoughts, ideas, suggestions and open to all criticism. 6 simple exercises that hit the whole upper body.
Details: 19M, 180cm height, 80kg weight
Goals: hypertrophy and strength gains
Progression rule: Once i can do around 3x15 for the exercise, I increase the weight

start off by stretching.
1) dumbbell chest press 3x12 (15kg dumbbells)
2) assisted pullups 4x6 (40kg assisted)
3) dumbbell shoulder press 3x8 (12.5kg dumbbells)
4) barbell rows 4x8 (30kg barbell)
5) assisted dips 3x8 (40kg assisted)
6) dumbbell hammer curls 3x8 (7kg dumbbells)
then finish off with some situps and stretching.

I have been training 2 years, so I’d say I have decent experience, I think your exercise selection for upper is quite good, but I’d add a lateral raise to begin as the side delt doesn’t get much work here. Also be careful with the type of stretching you do, avoid a static stretch pre workout as that would reduce power output, I personally warm up by doing 7 mins of cardio and a few ballistic/dynamic stretches (google upper body ballistic and dynamic stretches)
Also for your rep range 15 is good but I would vary it, have other rep ranges 6-8 or 8-12, and try that for a few weeks and see if that works for you (when u hit the top of the rep range increase the weight rather than waiting for 15 for some exercises)
Finally for full upper body workouts avoiding 4x a week that is a lot of volume and for most probably isn’t conducive to gains, so I would keep it to 3x a week and having periodic deloads when you accumulate fatigue (usually about every 2 months) but you may be able to go for longer or shorter, but look into that as well. Good luck with training!

Quick Reply

Latest