The Student Room Group

Online Learning @ University

During lockdown universities reverted to online lectures and tutorials. I’m wondering what has current students’ experience been this year? How much is your university still using online instead of in person teaching? Or is it back to normal in your uni now? Are some unis worse than others for this?

Please include your university and course.

(Note: I know some unis provide videos AFTER the session in case you missed it or for revision, that doesn’t count - I’m interested in departments teaching SOLELY online ie you don’t physically attend).
Original post by Anonymous
During lockdown universities reverted to online lectures and tutorials. I’m wondering what has current students’ experience been this year? How much is your university still using online instead of in person teaching? Or is it back to normal in your uni now? Are some unis worse than others for this?

(Note: I know some unis provide videos AFTER the session in case you missed it or for revision, that doesn’t count - I’m interested in departments teaching SOLELY online ie you don’t physically attend).

Hey!
I'm Priya, a international Design Management student at the University of Southampton. At the start of lockdown, the university did shift to fully online teaching for a while, but as things have started to open up again, it has moved to a more blended approach. Currently, about 70% of our classes are held in person, while the remaining 30% are still online.
I think the university has done a good job of balancing the needs of students who prefer in-person classes with the ongoing need for safety and social distancing. Of course, there are some challenges with online teaching - it can be harder to stay engaged and focused, and there are some technical issues that can arise. But overall, I think our professors have adapted really well and are doing their best to make sure we're still getting a quality education.
I can't speak for other universities, but from what I've heard from friends at other schools, it sounds like everyone has had to make some adjustments and there have definitely been some bumps along the way. But overall, I'm really grateful that we've been able to continue our studies despite the pandemic, and I feel like the University of Southampton has done a good job of adapting to the challenges we've faced.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Hi

There is a really interesting BBC article on this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64130367 which states "Data from 50 of the 160 universities surveyed shows 28% of courses are being taught in a hybrid way" (in 2023).

It really does depend on the object, I work in F.E/H.E and have heard that it is a lot more common at your big Universities, a lot of University centre's (bolted onto colleges) are mainly 100% on site although this is dependant on subject and qualification.

Arden University, one of the Universities where I studied has always had a mixture of blended learning and onsite options. The hybrid model is very much seen as the way forward by a lot of institutions.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Hi! I'm in my second year at the London Interdisciplinary School, doing my degree in Global Problems and Methods.
Last year, we had online classes two days a week, with the other two in-person, and when necessary these got shifted online according to Covid-19 measures for universities.
This year it has depended on the modules we chose to take. All of us have had most classes on-campus; in mine and some of my course-mates' case, we also had one class a week taught online.
Personally I have always preferred in-person learning, and I have therefore enjoyed that almost all my classes this year have been in-person. At LIS, the priority has been trying to ensure sessions can take place in-person so that we can make the most of the learning that comes from discussion/conversation style classes, and are able to attend other off-site sessions (such as external visits or sessions for learning different skills - even including blacksmithing once!). I have found this really valuable, and appreciate being able to make use of the campus facilities for classes (which is still available for doing the online session), and the off-site activities that have been organised.

Hey there!
For the past two years my university course has done everything online which was a big factor for me as to whether i was going to defer or not. They did tell us before we went that everything would be back in person so I knew what was going on before I moved out. I'm now in second year and all of my previous two years have been in person. To start with we were wearing masks in classrooms but that has gradually gone over time and everything seems to be pretty much back to normal. There is still hand sanitiser stations in every classroom and dotted around the hallways at university but no restrictions or online learning. I do know some courses have opted to keep some of their learning online but for me personally (Media degree) it's all back in person now. They do, as you say, record everything so that incase anyone has missed it they can watch it afterwards. They also say that if you've tested positive, to still stay home and recover. I know of other universities that have never brought their course back to in-person and are still working 100% online but this was disclosed to them before they went.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending