The Student Room Group

Online BSc Psychology - Essex, Derby, Arden or OU?

I am 23 years old employed in a full time job, but looking to start (my first) undergraduate degree in Psychology. I’d love to hear your experiences of studying online and part time.
- What university did you study with?
- What is their teaching and student support like? (Eg. If you need to ask questions or further clarification on a topic)
- Would you recommend them?

Thank you in advance! :smile:
@wavyyyladyyy

Hello! I can't speak for the BSc program at Arden University as I did the MSc there, but what I would say is that I myself have worked in F.E/H.E for over 10 years and Arden has the best virtual learning environment I have come across. The ability to communicate with tutors, via various means is excellent and the access to journals was great. Student support is very effective, I did my course during the pandemic and they replied to me in reasonable time - I didn't need that much support due to my background in the field.

With ANY provider I would check their QAA report (a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework report (TEF) both readily available online for an unbiased view. There is also a blended learning option at Arden which might interest you

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by wavyyyladyyy
I am 23 years old employed in a full time job, but looking to start (my first) undergraduate degree in Psychology. I’d love to hear your experiences of studying online and part time.
- What university did you study with?
- What is their teaching and student support like? (Eg. If you need to ask questions or further clarification on a topic)
- Would you recommend them?

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Hey! I am studying law at the University of Essex Online and am having a truly amazing experience with the uni. The teaching and student support are both excellent. I specifically chose this uni because their admissions team was great to work with. I often meet one-on-one with the professors who are wonderful and helpful. They respond super quickly which I appreciate. Studying online definitely requires some self-discipline, but in truth, so does studying in person. I also work part-time, so studying online and part-time has been a game changer for me as it allows me to work and study in my own time. I would definitely recommend the University of Essex Online!
Hello,

I am a 4th-year BSc Criminal Psychology student at the University of Essex Online, and I personally recommend studying through the university. It has a very supportive and attentive environment. There are Q&A sessions every 2 weeks, I think. You can also email the tutor of the module your questions and they usually respond promptly (weekdays, sometimes weekends). If you still have further questions or do not understand a topic, you can always ask for a Zoom meeting with the tutor. As for the disability support team, they are incredible. They provide a week extension if you qualify for disability (including mental illnesses or ADHD). There are also resources available on the platform, like a study hub and there are other opportunities to learn such as through lectures or the monthly journal club.
Regarding assignments, some of the psychology modules have collaborative learning questions (where you must write peer responses and such).

Let me know if you have any other inquiries about the university or my experience!

All the best,
Dana Kafoud
Original post by Eli_UoEOnline
Hey! I am studying law at the University of Essex Online and am having a truly amazing experience with the uni. The teaching and student support are both excellent. I specifically chose this uni because their admissions team was great to work with. I often meet one-on-one with the professors who are wonderful and helpful. They respond super quickly which I appreciate. Studying online definitely requires some self-discipline, but in truth, so does studying in person. I also work part-time, so studying online and part-time has been a game changer for me as it allows me to work and study in my own time. I would definitely recommend the University of Essex Online!

What’s the course material like? Like the video quality of lectures, are they easy to understand and well filmed and do they have extra videos designed for online learners? Thanks
Original post by blitterflicker
What’s the course material like? Like the video quality of lectures, are they easy to understand and well filmed and do they have extra videos designed for online learners? Thanks

@blitterflicker
At Arden all of the lectures were recorded, I would actually refer to them as seminar's because there were typically small groups of about 12- 15 of which you could ask questions verbally and also in the chat box. There were also supporting videos and many other resources available. The access to journals was really impressive

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I’m halfway through a psychology BSc with the OU, part-time, so in Y4 of 6. I would recommend them, the course materials are excellent, tutors very available and helpful. I would have a look at the modules for all the course options you are considering, as that might make a difference. Also check whether the degrees are BPS accredited. OU have various joint hons degrees as well as straight psychology, but not all of them contain the modelled they need to get the accreditation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending