The Student Room Group

Which would be a better decision?

Hi everyone,
First and foremost, I want to say thanks to all of the seniors/ friends reading this post and giving me advice since I am going to make a really important and well-invested decision in my life.
I am currently an embryologist and have been working in this field for one year. Now, I want to pursue a Master’s degree to boost my profile. Due to my satisfying full-time job, I am gonna study online. There’re 2 course that I am considering: MSc in Clinical Embryology from University of Leeds and MSc in Reproduction and Development from University of Bristol. Both are prestigious universities and offer distance learning programs. Is there anyone studying either these programs here? Can you give me some reasons why you have chosen one over the other? Which one is better for my future career? And is pursuing a master degree via online learning worthwhile? I want to hear your thought!
Lastly, I hope youre all doing well on your field and wish you luck and health to become high-flyers in the field that you’ve devoted your time to.
Hi,
Although I haven't studied at either of those universities, due to my undergraduate degree taking place heavily during COVID, I feel like I know a little about distance online learning.
A lot of this does depend on the practicality of the MA or MSc that you're wanting to pursue, as my course was heavily practical it did limit some of the learning we could achieve online.
As your MSc does sound like it's more on the theory side of things, this should be something that is achieved well in an online learning space.
Do just consider that sometimes online courses do not equal an easier option, due to not being able to meet with lecturers in person and sometimes having to wait to speak during a lecture/seminar and their being time delays ect, learning online can come with a lot of challenges as well as convenience.
Ultimately, choose whatever course you feel suits best and look to see if they offer a taster session as sometimes this can be helpful in helping you decide.
Best of luck,
Meg 🙂
MA Popular Music Student.
Original post by Pham Thu
Hi everyone,
First and foremost, I want to say thanks to all of the seniors/ friends reading this post and giving me advice since I am going to make a really important and well-invested decision in my life.
I am currently an embryologist and have been working in this field for one year. Now, I want to pursue a Master’s degree to boost my profile. Due to my satisfying full-time job, I am gonna study online. There’re 2 course that I am considering: MSc in Clinical Embryology from University of Leeds and MSc in Reproduction and Development from University of Bristol. Both are prestigious universities and offer distance learning programs. Is there anyone studying either these programs here? Can you give me some reasons why you have chosen one over the other? Which one is better for my future career? And is pursuing a master degree via online learning worthwhile? I want to hear your thought!
Lastly, I hope youre all doing well on your field and wish you luck and health to become high-flyers in the field that you’ve devoted your time to.

Hi @Pham Thu

An important thing to research is how the Distance Learning is delivered and how it is linked to the University. It may be a little difficult to find out by searching, but you could enquire directly with the University how the course is taught.

It is becoming a trend in the distance learning sector/way of learning that some universities will outsource the teaching of their courses to other companies rather than do it in-house. If outsourced, often those leading the courses will not be qualified lecturers in the sense of a teaching qualification. They may be well established in their field, but not qualified or as effective as communicating their knowledge due to lack of teaching qualification(s). Disclaimer: we are unaware how each of the above mentioned universities provide teaching, but during the early stages of setting up our Distance Learning courses, we saw this was a sector trend and decided it wouldn't be the best way to represent ourselves.

At Huddersfield we ensure the same people that teach the course on campus, are the same academics that teach our Distance Learning students, fully ensuring the same quality of teaching travels over. If teaching quality is your most valued requirement when taking an online course, make sure to enquire with each university to see how the degree is delivered and who will be leading the course.

Best of luck with your decision!

Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield
Original post by Pham Thu
Hi everyone,
Hello @Pham Thu,

We have a couple of blog posts which may help you prepare for the next step in your journey 😊

This one discusses the pros and cons of distance learning, which may help you better understand whether online learning is for you - https://bit.ly/4a9Degr

We also have a post that discusses how to balance work with full-time study which might be helpful - https://bit.ly/3PgRZ9z

Wishing you the best of luck with your career moving forwards!

Warm regards,

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending