The Student Room Group

Llm lpc

Hi guys,

I am graduating this year from my law degree and the next step is the LLM LPC. It looks like I’ll be having to self-fund. Can anyone give me advice? I’m looking to pay in instalments… and I’m avoiding taking out a loan (lend wise)
(edited 1 year ago)
You can get a master's tuition loan to help, as it is very expensive to do an LLM and LPC. The master's loan is basically the same as the undergrad, except it is only one loan. You do not get maintenance.

You could do the course part-time and work as a paralegal during the time you are not at uni, as this will help massively with spreading the cost and getting experience. This, I think, would be your best option.

You could not do it this coming September and only do it when you have funding from a firm, although this is rare.
Work as a paralegal somewhere that it would qualify as QWE and that would mean you could do the SQE which is slightly cheaper and would make you NQ quicker.
If you are not taking out a loan then there is absolutely no reason to do the LLM with it which is not a normally type of LLM and is only there for student loan funding. So for starters drop the LLM bit and just do the LPC if you are certainly you don't want a student loan. you may be able to take a job 2 days a week at the same time - plenty of people do that which helps a bit. There are also commercial loans available. Also just keeping putting loads of TC and vac scheme applications in the hope that even befoer you start or at least whilst on the court you find a firm who still might sponsor you.

Some people do the LPC part time over 2 years whilst working. The LPC will become rarer however as SQE takes over.
If you want to do the LPC which I agree is better, then be prepared that if you do not get a TC you can then do 2 years of QWE and just pass SQE2 (as you will have the LPC) and later qualify by that route if needs be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending