The Student Room Group

Irish in France / filling out form

Hello,
My son has Irish citizenship and is resident in France, and we are currently trying to fill out the forms. I'm a bit baffled as to how to proceed for an Irish citizen. Section 3/a2 asks if he has been resident in the "UK and Islands" for three years, then when you respond "No", it guides you right to the end of the questions without an option for EU residence. Could you tell me how to complete this?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by ghdm
Hello,
My son has Irish citizenship and is resident in France, and we are currently trying to fill out the forms. I'm a bit baffled as to how to proceed for an Irish citizen. Section 3/a2 asks if he has been resident in the "UK and Islands" for three years, then when you respond "No", it guides you right to the end of the questions without an option for EU residence. Could you tell me how to complete this?
Thanks in advance.

Hi there, what university and course is he applying for? When is his course due to start? How long has he lived in France for? When is he due to arrive in the UK? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Hi Karen,
He's applying to Exeter, KCL, QMUL and Kent for a double degree in English & French Law, staring in September 2023. We have lived as a family in France since 2014. He would arrive at the start of term in Sept/Oct. We're looking for a loan for tuition fees only.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by ghdm
Hi Karen,
He's applying to Exeter, KCL, QMUL and Kent for a double degree in English & French Law, staring in September 2023. We have lived as a family in France since 2014. He would arrive at the start of term in Sept/Oct. We're looking for a loan for tuition fees only.
Thanks in advanc

If he has been living in France for 3 years prior to the start of his course he would only be eligible to apply for Tuition Fee Loan only as an EU National. He can find the form to complete here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1143891/eu_eu23n_form_2324_o.pdf

If he will be working in the UK he maybe able to apply for funding as a Migrant Worker. He can find more information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/migrant-worker-evidence-for-student-finance-england

Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Thank you. I was using the wrong form then. He is also the son of a UK citizen (myself), but I see that this definition applies only to the age of 21. If he applied for a loan on that basis, would that category (son of UK citizen) HAVE to apply for the full course (and potentially beyond the age of 21), or is it an annual application where you can change category?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by ghdm
Thank you. I was using the wrong form then. He is also the son of a UK citizen (myself), but I see that this definition applies only to the age of 21. If he applied for a loan on that basis, would that category (son of UK citizen) HAVE to apply for the full course (and potentially beyond the age of 21), or is it an annual application where you can change category?
Thanks in advance.

Every year the student is looking to apply for funding they would need to submit an application for the team to review. Thanks, Karen
Reply 6
Thanks. So they are treated in isolation, and a change of category would not be a barrier?
Original post by ghdm
Thanks. So they are treated in isolation, and a change of category would not be a barrier?

Once the student applies the team will be able to review the funding they would be eligible to receive. Thanks, Karen
Reply 8
Thanks again Karen.

I have one (final!) question. In section 3d-d of the EU23N form, the "n" symbol is present but there are no notes at the back of the document relating to the section. Could you let me know what I need to know for this? And if evidence is needed of residence? There is no mention of it.

Thanks!
Reply 9
Sorry, one more question in addition to the above...
It says in the notes that original identity documents OR certified copies are accepted. For Irish citizens, it asks for "original" passport - is this an exception or is a certified copy sufficient? My son will need his passport for ID purposes for his baccalaureat and I want to ensure he has it for his exam dates.

Thank you so much for your help.
Original post by ghdm
Sorry, one more question in addition to the above...
It says in the notes that original identity documents OR certified copies are accepted. For Irish citizens, it asks for "original" passport - is this an exception or is a certified copy sufficient? My son will need his passport for ID purposes for his baccalaureat and I want to ensure he has it for his exam dates.

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi there,

We can accept a certified copy of the passport. You can include a cover letter if you need to add any additional notes. We will only require evidence if the assessors specifically request this once the application is data entered on to the system.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 11
Many thanks for your reply.

I also asked about the following above but I think it must have been overlooked as I added an additional question. Would you mind taking a look?

In section 3d-d of the EU23N form, the "n" symbol is present but there are no notes at the back of the document relating to the section. Could you let me know what I need to know for this? And if evidence is needed of residence? There is no mention of it.

Thank you!
Original post by ghdm
Thanks again Karen.

I have one (final!) question. In section 3d-d of the EU23N form, the "n" symbol is present but there are no notes at the back of the document relating to the section. Could you let me know what I need to know for this? And if evidence is needed of residence? There is no mention of it.

Thanks!

Hi there,

We don't need evidence of the address history, rest assured.

This 'n' should link to a part where it advises no to leave any gaps in the addresses and the format should be day/month/year.

We'll feed this back to our online team to let them know that the 'n' links to nothing, thanks for pointing this out.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending