The Student Room Group

Choice of Reference

Hi! I'm planning on applying to Economics and Philosophy courses in the UK this coming autumn. I currently take a course called Politics and Society as one of my Leaving Certs in secondary school in Ireland. I have a great relationship with my politics teacher and I do really well in that class, but I'm not planning on applying to PPE, just Econ/Phil courses.

Especially for unis like LSE/ Warwick (EPP)/ St. Andrew's, am I better off asking for a reference from my Maths teacher, even if she doesn't know me as well? To demonstrate quantitative ability? I.e. does the subject of the teacher matter for references?
Original post by ellarosebeck10
Hi! I'm planning on applying to Economics and Philosophy courses in the UK this coming autumn. I currently take a course called Politics and Society as one of my Leaving Certs in secondary school in Ireland. I have a great relationship with my politics teacher and I do really well in that class, but I'm not planning on applying to PPE, just Econ/Phil courses.

Especially for unis like LSE/ Warwick (EPP)/ St. Andrew's, am I better off asking for a reference from my Maths teacher, even if she doesn't know me as well? To demonstrate quantitative ability? I.e. does the subject of the teacher matter for references?

I dont know about Ireland but usually in UK schools one teacher will be responsible for your reference. They obtain details from your teachers and make the reference.
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont know about Ireland but usually in UK schools one teacher will be responsible for your reference. They obtain details from your teachers and make the reference.

Ah ok thanks for the reply. So maybe I should ask a year head or principal? For Irish unis no references are required so I don't think there is a person in my school who is specifically designated to write them.
Ah ok thanks for the reply. So maybe I should ask a year head or principal? For Irish unis no references are required so I don't think there is a person in my school who is specifically designated to write them.

Do you have a personal tutor. If not try your head of year

Generally the process in the UK is that the school will choose who writes the reference (often a form tutor or the head of sixth form, though I know mine went out formally in the name of the headteacher). That person tends to consult with subject teachers to get a feel for how you're doing in your subjects and make sure they are aware of anything specifically good from your subjects that they can mention.

If it's not a usual part of the process in Ireland, then I agree that the best people would be a form/personal tutor, head of year or headteacher, or if applying for a course in one of your school subjects, perhaps your teacher for that subject. (I'm not particularly familiar with the Irish system so don't know if all of those roles exist there but that sort of person generally.)
Reply 5
Talk to your Head of Year or similar - it will probably be written by the same person as compiles all the references for Irish Uni applications at your school. And actually it doesnt matter who writes/compiles it anyway - it is never a deal-breaker on any UCAS application, Uni are FAR more interested in your Personal Statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending