The Student Room Group

A level Further maths and only one other A level in year 13

I'm currently in year 12 studying A level maths, further maths, economics and physics. I want to apply for an economics degree and I am considering dropping physics. The only problem is that as I am taking further maths that means I am doing a level maths this year and therefore if I drop chemistry will only be doing a level further maths and economics in year 13- only two a levels in year 13 and 3 in total. I would like to know if this will put me at a disadvantage. I've read on Cambridge's website that they will consider my application however the way it was worded made it seem like I will be at a disadvantage. I also spoke to a teacher at my school and he said he does not know for sure however historically students are at a slight disadvantage.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by James4554
I'm currently in year 12 studying A level maths, further maths, economics and physics. I want to apply for an economics degree and I am considering dropping physics. The only problem is that as I am taking further maths that means I am doing a level maths this year and therefore if I drop chemistry will only be doing a level further maths and economics in year 13- only two a levels in year 13 and 3 in total. I would like to know if this will put me at a disadvantage. I've read on Cambridge's website that they will consider my application however the way it was worded made it seem like I will be at a disadvantage. I also spoke to a teacher at my school and he said he does not know for sure however historically students are at a slight disadvantage.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

Yes, you would be at a disadvantage.
Reply 2

Where exactly does it say that students will be at a disadvantage? All that I see regarding this is the following:

For courses where A Level Mathematics is required by all Colleges Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, physical sciences options in Natural Sciences students taking A Level Mathematics in Year 12, and A Level Further Mathematics and only one other A Level in Year 13 will be considered.

In such cases, your individual circumstances will be taken into account; including the context of your application, the combination of A Level subjects, the grade achieved in the early A Level, and your engagement with other relevant subjects in Year 13 in and beyond the classroom.

We recommend you seek advice from a College admissions office, and you should also consider potential implications for your other university options.
Hi there!

I think the website answers your question, really. I think any concern might be about your workload and whether you would manage the step up to university-level study. This can be mitigated to some extent by showing the other things you're doing with your time, whether that's in school or outside. It's important to bear in mind what other universities think. Cambridge is a maxmimum of one UCAS choice, so you'll need to check with the other universities you're thinking of applying to whether they would accept this. it's also worth contacting the Admissions Office of any Cambridge Colleges you're considering before you apply to see if they have any advice - we don't bite, I promise!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending