The Student Room Group

Should I do Further Maths A level as a 4th?

Currently, I'm thinking about doing an Economics degree at University (aiming at the like top 15 ranked unis, although not bothered with it being oxbridge or anything) . I've been told that taking Further Maths is extremely preferable and that if I don't take it, I will struggle a lot. Right now, I'm doing Maths, Geography and Economics and I'm not dropping any of them for Further Maths because I'm not committing myself to that degree just yet and I want to keep my options open.

Right now, I'm on a grade 8 at GCSE maths, although I'm really trying to work towards a grade 9. Is FM manageable as a 4th A level? Is it an extension to Maths or is it like a whole different thing?? I really enjoy maths, it's one of my favourite subjects, it's just the workload that worries me!! Any advice - especially anyone who does FM as a 4th - will be really appreciated!!
Reply 1
Original post by georgia10201
Currently, I'm thinking about doing an Economics degree at University (aiming at the like top 15 ranked unis, although not bothered with it being oxbridge or anything) . I've been told that taking Further Maths is extremely preferable and that if I don't take it, I will struggle a lot. Right now, I'm doing Maths, Geography and Economics and I'm not dropping any of them for Further Maths because I'm not committing myself to that degree just yet and I want to keep my options open.
Right now, I'm on a grade 8 at GCSE maths, although I'm really trying to work towards a grade 9. Is FM manageable as a 4th A level? Is it an extension to Maths or is it like a whole different thing?? I really enjoy maths, it's one of my favourite subjects, it's just the workload that worries me!! Any advice - especially anyone who does FM as a 4th - will be really appreciated!!

gcse additional mathematics is preferable as an indicator of AL Further Math aptitude
Reply 2
I’d try to find out how your chosen sixth form / college does the further maths a level. My sixth form does the whole of a level maths in year 12 and further in year 13 but we take both a levels at the end of year 13. This would be great for you by the sounds of it since you would be able to speed through a level maths and if you would like to, drop fm at the end of year 12. Some other sixth forms will do maths a level at the end of year 12 which might not be great for obvious reasons - also, if you did this and then dropped fm some unis can be funny about students not taking min 3 a levels in one year. Hope this answers your question :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest