The Student Room Group

Should I repeat year 13 maths?

Hello,

My situation is a little bit different. Im doing 4 A levels at the moment which are maths, further maths, physics and economics. Im an in year 12 for fm, phy and econ and in year 13 just for maths.
I am going to spend 2 years in my sixth form but I am in year 13 maths because I did maths A level at a different sixth form for a year and wanted to change the other subjects which I was doing but kept maths the same.
Anyways, what I want to say is that Im in year 13 maths and year 12 fm, phy and econ.
Now I will sit the A level exams for fm, phy and econ in 2025 and an AS in fm this year (2024) however I have the opportunity to sit A level maths exam this year (2024).
My question is whether I should complete my A lvl maths this year or repeat year 13 and wait till next year to sit?
Im currently at an A-A* standard and looking to apply to competitive unis which all require A* in maths for my course.
I have asked LSE regarding my situation and they said that they recommend to do all of the exams in one year and competition for places at lse is high and etc etc all the waffle after that.
However, people who complete A level maths in 1 year and do 3 A levels the following year do get offers?

Any help/advice is appreciated
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Most Unis do not worry about Maths taken a year early - its very common for those taking both Maths and FM, and many schools will recommend that you do this so that you are not taking 4 full subjects in Year 13.

LSE is just one University - and one that has some very odd admissions policies - yet another reason for not applying there.
Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,

My situation is a little bit different. Im doing 4 A levels at the moment which are maths, further maths, physics and economics. Im an in year 12 for fm, phy and econ and in year 13 just for maths.
I am going to spend 2 years in my sixth form but I am in year 13 maths because I did maths A level at a different sixth form for a year and wanted to change the other subjects which I was doing but kept maths the same.
Anyways, what I want to say is that Im in year 13 maths and year 12 fm, phy and econ.
Now I will sit the A level exams for fm, phy and econ in 2025 and an AS in fm this year (2024) however I have the opportunity to sit A level maths exam this year (2024).
My question is whether I should complete my A lvl maths this year or repeat year 13 and wait till next year to sit?
Im currently at an A-A* standard and looking to apply to competitive unis which all require A* in maths for my course.
I have asked LSE regarding my situation and they said that they recommend to do all of the exams in one year and competition for places at lse is high and etc etc all the waffle after that.
However, people who complete A level maths in 1 year and do 3 A levels the following year do get offers?

If you want to go to a competitive university, you need to sit 3 full A levels over just 2 years. That's the only way to demonstrate you can cope with the workload of an undergrad degree.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Most Unis do not worry about Maths taken a year early - its very common for those taking both Maths and FM, and many schools will recommend that you do this so that you are not taking 4 full subjects in Year 13.

LSE is just one University - and one that has some very odd admissions policies - yet another reason for not applying there.

Yeah I get you.
Actually, if I give maths earlier, I would need to get 3A's or A*AA in other subjects whereas if I give the exam in year 13 afterwards then maybe I dont need to get an A* in fm or in physics.
But I would still need to bare the lessons or the extra workload.
Confused I am...
Reply 4
Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,

Honestly you should do your maths a level this year as it is one less a level to worry about and as you are on A* already youre pretty much sorted for maths. Unis wont care as you are still completing the average 3 a levels together and showing you can get top grades regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest