The Student Room Group

Should I do further maths instead of computer sci

My a level choices are:
- maths
- bio
- chem
- computer science

I was thinking that maybe I should swap further maths with computer science? This is because most uni do recommend it in order to do computer science and also it complements the sciences.

I have a stable 8 in A Level Maths, does this make Further Maths a level manageable? Also, is it a one year or two year course? Can those doing further maths a level please give me some tips on doing further maths and explain what it is like?
(edited 7 months ago)
If your aim is to do CS then FM is probably more useful than A-level CS, assuming you can get similar grades in both (which is a considerable assumption to be fair!). It's also probably more of a practical workload with your other subjects, as 4 disparate subjects is, I gather, a lot more work than two unrelated subjects and double maths.

In terms of whether it's taught over one year or two years, this is down to your school. It is an A-level and so formally designed as a two year programme. However because it necessarily needs to be taken with A-level Maths and a good chunk of the content depends on content from A-level Maths, a lot of schools plan their maths/FM teaching so students do all of A-level Maths in year 12 and all of FM in year 13, which I guess makes it simpler to schedule when you're teaching each topic (as that way you know the FM students have covered everything they need from A-level Maths).
Reply 2
Original post by kitty15
My a level choices are:
- maths
- bio
- chem
- computer science

I was thinking that maybe I should swap further maths with computer science? This is because most uni do recommend it in order to do computer science and also it complements the sciences.

I have a stable 8 in A Level Maths, does this make Further Maths a level manageable? Also, is it a one year or two year course? Can those doing further maths a level please give me some tips on doing further maths and explain what it is like?

You could swap out further maths for computer science - you’re right, most unis love FM for comp sci, and engineering/physics degrees in general. However, just throwing out another idea - wouldn’t you want to swap out biology or chemistry? Computer science is not a must for university, but it will definitely introduce you to the concepts, basics of coding and you’ll actually be able to see if you like the subject or not! Just something to think about! What made you pick biology and chemistry? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by solarpeas
You could swap out further maths for computer science - you’re right, most unis love FM for comp sci, and engineering/physics degrees in general. However, just throwing out another idea - wouldn’t you want to swap out biology or chemistry? Computer science is not a must for university, but it will definitely introduce you to the concepts, basics of coding and you’ll actually be able to see if you like the subject or not! Just something to think about! What made you pick biology and chemistry? :smile:

I'm still unsure about my courses for uni, and may want to do medicine or biochem, in which case maths would be useful. I just want to have something to help me go into computer science should I want to because I am very good with tech. So I think swapping out those two won't be possible.
Reply 4
as someone who did computer science and further maths, i would definitely say that further helped me get more of my offers than cs. top unis seem to love it when cs applicants have further maths. the way my college teaches further maths is over two years, but i fast-tracked further maths alongside my other two a levels in year 13 and it wasn't too bad because topics from maths linked in with further. how it's taught depends on each college though so i would ask a lecturer who teaches the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest