The Student Room Group

LSBU BSc Mental Health Nursing 2024

Any prospective students ?
(edited 1 month ago)
If you have any questions about Nursing at LSBU - I’m a first year there.
Original post by Dils92
Any prospective students ?

Hi there, I haven't accepted yet but I likely will.
I firmed my offer now
congrats Dils92

Did you know if your an offer holder you can get early access to the LSBU Library? Bring your offer letter and ID to the LSBU hub to get access. You'll need to bring your own laptop for internet access.
Original post by Davenursing
congrats Dils92
Did you know if your an offer holder you can get early access to the LSBU Library? Bring your offer letter and ID to the LSBU hub to get access. You'll need to bring your own laptop for internet access.

Thank you for sharing I wasn’t aware. Do you know if there will be a head start day? Or will it just be enrolment then induction?
There’s an induction week usually early in September. The time will whizz by.

Whilst your excited to get started you can make your on boarding really smooth by making sure to submit any needed documents, get your accommodation application, student finance, and if you need disabled student support make contact to discuss your needs.

When your enrolled get your occupational health and crb check submitted as soon as your enrolled, so you can avoid the stress of waiting longer for approval for placement.
Thank you so much for all this information. Do I also require to be vaccinated?
Yes, in the summer ask your gp surgery for a copy of your vaccinations record, the occupational health team will ask for it. They’ll arrange any vaccinations your missing.
Perfect thank you so much. You have been most hopeful, I really appreciate it.
If your staying in halls I recommend David Bomberg House
Ok let me answer some of the questions you have.

You complete 2300 hours on placement over three years for the BSc nursing programmes. You do multiple placements each year - for the adult nursing programme it’s about 12 weeks in year 1. Mental health nursing I think is about the same. Your get your timetable when you start the programme.

The onsite simulation wards are great, but the Hub library building and facilities are brilliant.

As an adult nurse student I have navy trousers Tunic and LSBU polo shirt as uniform. I believe mental health students get polo shirts.

Assessments take different formats depending on the module, you’ll get all the details when you start, and plenty of support to be successful.
On placement you complete a document called epad, which provides a structure and objectives for learning whilst on placement. You’ll be buddied up with staff throughout placement.

I selected Uni for all three terms on your SFE application as your hours are mainly there.

My top tips:

Attendance and engagement is vital. Turning up on time, and being prepared will make you more successful. It’s also essential under NMC guidelines.

Apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund too. This is an extra £5000+ per year while studying that doesn’t have to be paid back.

Create a detailled budget. Have a plan and stick to it.

Placements are full time hours 37.5 hours per week. And the course is full time, so make sure you plan accordingly when it comes to employment or balancing home life.

If you have a disability or long term health condition that might impact on your studies reach out to DDS Team at LSBU. You’ll find their details and the support available on the website. Search for the Disability and Dyslexia Service.

Studying nursing will change you for the better from day one on the course. Time passes very quickly and you’ll have loads of opportunities to grow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending