The Student Room Group

cost of living

I'm sure its not just me or my family who are struggling during this cost of living crisis. at home we are finding it hard to put on the heating and we haven't been able to get a carpet installed for some while now because of the cost (and there are more things such as this which the government don't offer financial support for because its not deemed as essential) I feel really sorry for my mum and helpless as I'm only 16 and don't have a full or part time job. at the same time there are needs and wants that me and my siblings have (such as needing the latest clothes and new shoes etc but find it hard to come to our mum about as (especially me as feels like I'm making demands). some people might suggest that I try and get a job so that I can support the family income but my mum really encourages that we work hard in school and in our extra curricular activities so that in the future we can be in a better off situation than her in the future. I'm trying hard to not let this situation distract me from my schoolwork or personal life or worsen my mental health but it can just be so so hard. I would be grateful to hear how others have been coping in these hard times.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sure its not just me or my family who are struggling during this cost of living crisis. at home we are finding it hard to put on the heating and we haven't been able to get a carpet installed for some while now because of the cost (and there are more things such as this which the government don't offer financial support for because its not deemed as essential) I feel really sorry for my mum and helpless as I'm only 16 and don't have a full or part time job. at the same time there are needs and wants that me and my siblings have (such as needing the latest clothes and new shoes etc but find it hard to come to our mum about as (especially me as feels like I'm making demands). some people might suggest that I try and get a job so that I can support the family income but my mum really encourages that we work hard in school and in our extra curricular activities so that in the future we can be in a better off situation than her in the future. I'm trying hard to not let this situation distract me from my schoolwork or personal life or worsen my mental health but it can just be so so hard. I would be grateful to hear how others have been coping in these hard times.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through a rough phase. I wish I could be able to help you.

To relate, just one suggestion I would like to give is I ain't saying your mom is wrong. Just think if you can't survive the present or get rid of the current status, will you have the opportunity to think about the future?

So, think more and do whatever you prefer. Good luck!

May God help you to be stable.
I really do empathise with you as I'm sure lots of others. This cost of living is causing a lot of stress not just financial implication on a lot of people. Worse for when on the outside it doesn't seem to impact you. But i think the only thing we can do is just try and hang on and hope things improve.

Could you maybe see if there's flexible casual work you could do which may give you the piece of mind of attempting to help but also your not committed to and extent so that you able to meet the demands of your studies as well. I get your mums point of view my parents have a similar view but also this is being a hindrance to your studies so perhaps if you felt you were helping you may feel better.

Remember though there's other support you could offer it doesn't just have to be financial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending