The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths: AQA vs Edexcel

Ok so i've searched a lot and all the answers on every possible forum site is from the old/legacy spec... so I need an updated answer..

Basically currently in y11, I have been doing a level maths edexcel specification (my teacher recommended me to do this as I am basically ahead of the GCSE spec)...
The sixth form i want to go to does AQA unfortunately, and from the old forums apparently AQA is really bad and has a lack of resources. Does that still hold true for the new specifications?

1} adv/disadvantages of AQA spec?
2} are the contents the same, as in the exam structure?
3} will I be safe to still work through the edexcel textbooks or will I need to get the AQA ones?

4} is it helpful to do past papers from the opposing exam board?

5} and finally, may someone provide me with some AQA resoruces?

I really do want to join the sixth form as it is very reputed and I love the teachers and facilities, so I really want to go there - just the "AQA" is annoying me...

(and here at GCSE i was thinking aqa is the easiest exam board*smile*)
Original post by AshKetchum1206
Ok so i've searched a lot and all the answers on every possible forum site is from the old/legacy spec... so I need an updated answer..

Basically currently in y11, I have been doing a level maths edexcel specification (my teacher recommended me to do this as I am basically ahead of the GCSE spec)...
The sixth form i want to go to does AQA unfortunately, and from the old forums apparently AQA is really bad and has a lack of resources. Does that still hold true for the new specifications?

3} will I be safe to still work through the edexcel textbooks or will I need to get the AQA ones?

I really do want to join the sixth form as it is very reputed and I love the teachers and facilities, so I really want to go there - just the "AQA" is annoying me...

(and here at GCSE i was thinking aqa is the easiest exam board*smile*)

Personally, I hate EdExcel for maths with a passion. I am a fan of AQA though, as it alwas has been my preferred exam board.

I have recently done A Level Maths with AQA and I've got an alright grade out of it i.e. it will definitely help me get onto the courses that I want to do, but it's not an ideal grade. My experience with EdExcel is that it's worse.

You don't get marks for getting the definitions/wording of answers right - something EdExcel prides on

You don't have to learn about the integrals/differentiation of logs of trig functions

Otherwise, AQA vs EdExcel spec are somewhat similar

Pretty much the same, except EdExcel puts more emphasis on definitions/wording of answers, and these need to be spot on in order to get the marks. The definition parts of the questions can come in as minor parts of the question.
I also don't like the way EdExcel's exam questions are laid out; every time I look at them they seem dull and it's like writing an endless essay (not the sort of feeling you want for a maths exam). AQA on the other hand is more structured and it comes with much better formatting.

The specs are virtually identical. It's safe to still use the textbooks, but you will need to learn a few more bits and bobs that the AQA spec covers but EdExcel doesn't (I can't remember what the exceptions were from the top of my head).

Yes. It gives you variety for one. There are also limited number of exam papers that you can refer to since the spec changed in 2018.
From the 3 exam boards that you get for the UK, over the 4-5 years that the new spec that has come in play, and the 3 papers per year that you get, you can only get a max of 45 papers for the new spec. If you want to do more papers, you would have to look at the old spec papers and they are difficult to come by (they don't really publish them).

Always go by the AQA website first: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/mathematics-7357/assessment-resources
A website that I really like for A Level AQA Maths is TLMaths - it's from an A Level Maths tutor (who covers both AQA and EdExcel) and he has his own YouTube channel. See: https://sites.google.com/view/tlmaths/home/a-level-maths and https://www.youtube.com/c/TLMaths
There are also official AQA revision books that you can buy, especially those by the AQA exam board as well as those from the CGP (not a fan of the latter, but you're kind of limited on variety/choice).

Quick Reply

Latest