The Student Room Group

Can I start uni again, in a different uni in 2nd year

Hi,

So I am a 2nd year in Uni and I picked a course I don’t like, I stayed at home and pretty much missed out on all the first year fun and uni experience. I’m living at home now with no job and no friends I see on a day to day basis. Since the start of second year I’ve been so depressed and stayed at home for the whole duration and it’s killing me. I’m no wishing I moved because my mum is starting to treat me like **** and I’m getting sick of her but I also feel like I need to gain that independent living. Can anybody give me advice as the course I picked isn’t so reliable and I want to change to exercise science also. Please reply
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So I am a 2nd year in Uni and I picked a course I don’t like, I stayed at home and pretty much missed out on all the first year fun and uni experience. I’m living at home now with no job and no friends I see on a day to day basis. Since the start of second year I’ve been so depressed and stayed at home for the whole duration and it’s killing me. I’m no wishing I moved because my mum is starting to treat me like **** and I’m getting sick of her but I also feel like I need to gain that independent living. Can anybody give me advice as the course I picked isn’t so reliable and I want to change to exercise science also. Please reply

Hello!

I hope you’re well, I’m sorry to hear about your current situation. It’s always a bummer when you feel like you’ve picked the wrong course but at least you have realised somewhat early.

I would speak to your current university and members of the academic team on that course about transfer and the prospective university that you would like to study at. If you want a whole new course, you would probably have to start again from 1st year - so best advice is to get in contact with their admissions ASAP to try and secure a place.

Best of luck!

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 2
If you’ve already had two years of funding, unless you can prove extenuating circumstances you would probably have to self fund the first year because SFE gives the (length of your new course plus one year) less the number of years already studied. So for a new standard three year course they would pay (3+1)-2= 2 and it would be the first year of this new course that you would have to pay.
(edited 1 year ago)
So, there are some things to be aware of:

Firstly, if you would be aiming to reapply to second year, you would need to contact the uni first to ask if they will even consider a transfer (which is what applying to any year other than first year would be considered). Many unis and courses do, but not all will and it will always depend on how well your current course matches up to the first year of their course. It's never guaranteed and you have to contact them first to find out if they do accept applicants in that way.

Secondly, as noted above, there will be some potential SFE funding issues. After doing 2 years in a degree elsewhere, you would not be able to get full funding if you started a new course from first year (which is honestly easier to do from an applications point of view) and so unless you are able to self fund tuition fees for the first year, you would need to be aiming for second year entry as you noted. This is assuming you have no other prior years of study, didn't do a foundation year, etc, etc.

Also note that a second year transfer would only work for moving into the same subject normally. If you were looking to change to a different subject there is virtually no situation where you could go into second year of the new subject after doing first year in an unrelated subject at another uni - even if you were studying a closely related subject the odds are much worse there. Otherwise you would be looking at starting in first year again which, as noted, will leave you with SFE funding issues.

All that aside, that seems like a fairly drastic solution to a problem that would otherwise be simpler to solve - just aim to move out for your third year at your current uni, and finish your current course while not living at home. You don't need to change uni just to move out...unless you have another reason for moving uni or changing course, I'm not sure it's such a great idea.

Is the primary reason for you changing course/uni just to move out? Or is there some other reason?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been enjoying your time at university! :frown:

I will say that the fun associated with first years of uni doesn’t automatically end the moment you go into your second year, you can still have just as much fun as your average first-year undergraduate!

If you’re looking to change courses, I would definitely recommend speaking with your academic advisor and seeing what can be done about transferring and how to make this process easier. If transfer is not viable, you’ll have to apply as a first year for the new course through SFE. If you can get valid extenuating circumstances evidence, you’ll be able to get this funded. I would recommend taking a look at the SFE’s guidelines on what they classify as ‘valid evidence’.

I hope all goes well! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending