The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

St George's: Ask a current student

Hey guys!

I know in the current circumstances it is difficult to know what is going on. But if you have any questions, please let us know! We are more than happy to help with any queries and also to just give you guys some insight/reassurance about any situation.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George’s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by St George's University of London
Hey guys!

I know in the current circumstances it is difficult to know what is going on. But if you have any questions, please let us know! We are more than happy to help with any queries and also to just give you guys some insight/reassurance about any situation.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George’s

Hiya MJ

I hope you are keeping well through this all :smile:

I am considering to go to St George's in September to study BsC Physiotherapy. I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate your answers for:
- how many people are there roughly on the course? and of those, how many are of school leavers age or mature students?
- are the lecturers quite approachable?
- what is the teaching and assessment style like for Physiotherapy? is it mainly practical or theory based with many written exams?
- do people enjoy the uni and the course?
- would you know if there is a BsC Physiotherapy St George's thread on here?

Thank you for your help!
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
Original post by pm9831
Hiya MJ

I hope you are keeping well through this all :smile:

I am considering to go to St George's in September to study BsC Physiotherapy. I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate your answers for:
- how many people are there roughly on the course? and of those, how many are of school leavers age or mature students?
- are the lecturers quite approachable?
- what is the teaching and assessment style like for Physiotherapy? is it mainly practical or theory based with many written exams?
- do people enjoy the uni and the course?
- would you know if there is a BsC Physiotherapy St George's thread on here?

Thank you for your help!

Hi pm9831,

I hope you are also well!

My name is Isabella and I am currently a 2nd year Physiotherapy student at St George's, I am glad to see you are pursuing a degree in physio its great!

- In my year there is roughly 60 students which is small in comparison to other universities. But I find that it has enabled me to get to know everyone on my course. The year is made up students from all different backgrounds, around 20 of us were school leavers and the others had either done previous degrees or had a career change. Therefore, there is a range of ages on the course but everyone gets on well and we all have different life experiences to share.
- Yes, the lecturers are really friendly and approachable!
- The teaching is broken up so that you have theory and practical sessions within a week which link, they also try to put a day of self directed learning once week in your timetable.
- Throughout the course you are assessed differently so that everyone's strengths and weaknesses are catered for. Some examples include essays, practical exams, group/individual presentations, posters and group work.
- Generally people enjoy the course, it is a tough degree so there is some times where people find it hard. But overall everyone in my cohort seems to be happy!
- I will find the link to the Physiotherapy BSc thread and I will link it for you down below

I hope that answers all of your questions! If you have anymore feel free to ask them!

Best wishes,

Isabella Ker
2nd Year Physiotherapy
Official Uni Rep St. George's
This is the link for the St George's BSc Physiotherapy thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6450070

Best wishes,
Isabella Ker,
2nd Year Physiotherapy
Ooo I firmed st George's around a week ago, when would I receive information about the health check thing to make sure I am healthy? That's the only condition I have on my offer
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, i hope you are well!
I am looking into the Graduate Entry Medicine course for 2022 entry. Do you possibly know when the next (provisional) medicine open day for St Georges is, given the current circumstance?
How have you found medicine at St Georges? Did you do standard entry, or graduate entry? How is the spread between lectures/clinic/practical's (i.e how much time do you typically spend on each per week)? Being from a university where it feels unsafe on campus, how is the area that St Georges is in (Tooting)? Is the library of St Georges nice? As a student of medicine, do you get assigned a personal tutor/clinical tutor?

Thank you so much!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i hope you are well!
I am looking into the Graduate Entry Medicine course for 2022 entry. Do you possibly know when the next (provisional) medicine open day for St Georges is, given the current circumstance?
How have you found medicine at St Georges? Did you do standard entry, or graduate entry? How is the spread between lectures/clinic/practical's (i.e how much time do you typically spend on each per week)? Being from a university where it feels unsafe on campus, how is the area that St Georges is in (Tooting)? Is the library of St Georges nice? As a student of medicine, do you get assigned a personal tutor/clinical tutor?

Thank you so much!

Hey!

Unfortunately I wouldn't know when the next open day is, but I will find out for you. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions here though!

I am doing the standard entry, but grads and third year medics join together for the 2nd year of grad medicine. So basically you do a year of pre clinical and then from 2nd year onwards you join the third year of medicine (standard entry) for the clinical years of Medicine.

Medicine at St. George's has been enjoyable so far. There is a lot of focus on clinical which is super important because if you can't establish an appropriate relationship with the patient, regardless of your theoretical knowledge, you won't be able to apply it as you won't have sufficient information from the patient. So they really teach you how to do that and I think it has been really beneficial so far.

In terms of time spent, so you mostly will have 9-5 lectures, except on Wednesdays where you have a day off. We had a day of clinical and communication skills every week. It may be a bit different for grad entry.

I have not personally experienced anything dodgy around Tooting, the same rules apply as you were anywhere else, trying not to go out too late and having someone with you if possible. But I know loads of students who go home late at night because they have been at the library which is open 24/7. They haven't complained of anything and also because the Uni is around the high street it is quite busy so that really helps too.

Library is decent yes! Like i said it is always open and there are three sections, silent, quiet and moderately quiet. It means you can study around people and have no noise. There are also computer rooms for those who wish to access patient notes and also for those who don't have a laptop. Around the uni there are also small rooms where you can study individually if you prefer to study in an environment away from people.

Yes you get assigned a personal tutor and you have about 2/3 meetings a year. I have been quite lucky that my personal tutor has been really nice but I have heard others have the same opinion, You can also switch personal tutors if you wish to do so. They help out a lot with any of your worries and you can contact them any time. I would say it's really reassuring. Also St. George's have this mums and dads scheme where you get paired up with a student from the year above and they guide you with things, so you basically have a george's 'family'!

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions do let me know!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep, St. George's
Reply 7
Original post by St George's, University of London
Hi pm9831,

I hope you are also well!

My name is Isabella and I am currently a 2nd year Physiotherapy student at St George's, I am glad to see you are pursuing a degree in physio its great!

- In my year there is roughly 60 students which is small in comparison to other universities. But I find that it has enabled me to get to know everyone on my course. The year is made up students from all different backgrounds, around 20 of us were school leavers and the others had either done previous degrees or had a career change. Therefore, there is a range of ages on the course but everyone gets on well and we all have different life experiences to share.
- Yes, the lecturers are really friendly and approachable!
- The teaching is broken up so that you have theory and practical sessions within a week which link, they also try to put a day of self directed learning once week in your timetable.
- Throughout the course you are assessed differently so that everyone's strengths and weaknesses are catered for. Some examples include essays, practical exams, group/individual presentations, posters and group work.
- Generally people enjoy the course, it is a tough degree so there is some times where people find it hard. But overall everyone in my cohort seems to be happy!
- I will find the link to the Physiotherapy BSc thread and I will link it for you down below

I hope that answers all of your questions! If you have anymore feel free to ask them!

Best wishes,

Isabella Ker
2nd Year Physiotherapy

Hi Isabella

Thank you so much for answering all my questions, I really appreciate it and it has given me such a great insight to the uni! I am looking forward to joining in Sept:smile:
hi

im hoping to study biomedical science at sgul this september 2020, i was wondering how many students per year apply for grad entry into medicine and how many do go onto study medicine at sgul/other universities :smile:
Hey!

Unfortunately I wouldn't know when the next open day is, but I will find out for you. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions here though!

I am doing the standard entry, but grads and third year medics join together for the 2nd year of grad medicine. So basically you do a year of pre clinical and then from 2nd year onwards you join the third year of medicine (standard entry) for the clinical years of Medicine.

Medicine at St. George's has been enjoyable so far. There is a lot of focus on clinical which is super important because if you can't establish an appropriate relationship with the patient, regardless of your theoretical knowledge, you won't be able to apply it as you won't have sufficient information from the patient. So they really teach you how to do that and I think it has been really beneficial so far.

In terms of time spent, so you mostly will have 9-5 lectures, except on Wednesdays where you have a day off. We had a day of clinical and communication skills every week. It may be a bit different for grad entry.

I have not personally experienced anything dodgy around Tooting, the same rules apply as you were anywhere else, trying not to go out too late and having someone with you if possible. But I know loads of students who go home late at night because they have been at the library which is open 24/7. They haven't complained of anything and also because the Uni is around the high street it is quite busy so that really helps too.

Library is decent yes! Like i said it is always open and there are three sections, silent, quiet and moderately quiet. It means you can study around people and have no noise. There are also computer rooms for those who wish to access patient notes and also for those who don't have a laptop. Around the uni there are also small rooms where you can study individually if you prefer to study in an environment away from people.

Yes you get assigned a personal tutor and you have about 2/3 meetings a year. I have been quite lucky that my personal tutor has been really nice but I have heard others have the same opinion, You can also switch personal tutors if you wish to do so. They help out a lot with any of your worries and you can contact them any time. I would say it's really reassuring. Also St. George's have this mums and dads scheme where you get paired up with a student from the year above and they guide you with things, so you basically have a george's 'family'!

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions do let me know!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep, St. George's

Thank you MJ, I really appreciate it!!!

I wish you luck in your final years of medicine!
Hi, sorry for the list but I’ve had a few questions on my mind. I’m a 2020 medicine offer holder.

1. Do you feel SGUL’s low ranking in the uni tables is justified?
2. Does St George’s have a ranking system for exam results?
3. How does it feel seeing the same cohort of people regularly, does it get repetitive seeing the same faces or is it more of a family feel?

Thanks in advance
Also 1 non-medical school related question. After med school how is the hospital you work in decided?
hi

im hoping to study biomedical science at sgul this september 2020, i was wondering how many students per year apply for grad entry into medicine and how many do go onto study medicine at sgul/other universities :smile:

Hi there,

I don't have the exact figure, but there's usually around 25 places on the transfer program and everybody who meets the academic requirement is invited for interview and then places are given based on the interview. I personally don't know anybody that has wanted to go into Medicine after Biomedical Science that hasn't got a place, although some have had to take gap years/apply multiple times. There will be some people who want to do Medicine that don't get to, but from my experience it's a minority.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Hi, sorry for the list but I’ve had a few questions on my mind. I’m a 2020 medicine offer holder.

1. Do you feel SGUL’s low ranking in the uni tables is justified?
2. Does St George’s have a ranking system for exam results?
3. How does it feel seeing the same cohort of people regularly, does it get repetitive seeing the same faces or is it more of a family feel?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

1) I'm not aware of where St George's sits in the league tables, but what I can say is that I've loved my time there and don't understand why it would be low. The experience you get at George's is truly fantastic, from actual university life, to the privilege of studying in an all healthcare uni, to the experience from having a university inside a hospital - I think it depends on what you want from university and that's perhaps why people have different experiences - if you come to George's wanting a huge uni with loads of different people then you'll be disappointed, but if you're wanting a uni where people are like-minded, aim high, feel like family, and you get loads of patient contact, you'll love it at SGUL.
2) In Med, results are given in deciles frequently, allowing you to see where in the year you're at and gauge whether you need to work harder/do more to improve your results
3) In George's, everybody knows everybody. I've never found it repetitive, but I love the family feel, I love that I know people in all courses and from all years, and I've found it really helps me in an academic sense too, since those who know more than you help you out and teach you extra/go over the stuff you're not fully confident on.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
Also 1 non-medical school related question. After med school how is the hospital you work in decided?

Just so you don't think I've ignored this, I'm not aware of how it is decided so hopefully MJ or one of the other med students can come and explain.

@St George's, University of London

Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
Hi there,

I don't have the exact figure, but there's usually around 25 places on the transfer program and everybody who meets the academic requirement is invited for interview and then places are given based on the interview. I personally don't know anybody that has wanted to go into Medicine after Biomedical Science that hasn't got a place, although some have had to take gap years/apply multiple times. There will be some people who want to do Medicine that don't get to, but from my experience it's a minority.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep

awesome thanks!
Hi there,

1) I'm not aware of where St George's sits in the league tables, but what I can say is that I've loved my time there and don't understand why it would be low. The experience you get at George's is truly fantastic, from actual university life, to the privilege of studying in an all healthcare uni, to the experience from having a university inside a hospital - I think it depends on what you want from university and that's perhaps why people have different experiences - if you come to George's wanting a huge uni with loads of different people then you'll be disappointed, but if you're wanting a uni where people are like-minded, aim high, feel like family, and you get loads of patient contact, you'll love it at SGUL.
2) In Med, results are given in deciles frequently, allowing you to see where in the year you're at and gauge whether you need to work harder/do more to improve your results
3) In George's, everybody knows everybody. I've never found it repetitive, but I love the family feel, I love that I know people in all courses and from all years, and I've found it really helps me in an academic sense too, since those who know more than you help you out and teach you extra/go over the stuff you're not fully confident on.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep

Thanks so much, this is really helpful
Reply 17
Hi!I’m a gap year student who has a deferred place for medicine 2020. I feel like I’ve lost touch with all my sciences and maths because I haven’t studied for so long. Would you recommend that I look at certain study materials before starting uni?Thanks!
Original post by isha.s
Hi!I’m a gap year student who has a deferred place for medicine 2020. I feel like I’ve lost touch with all my sciences and maths because I haven’t studied for so long. Would you recommend that I look at certain study materials before starting uni?Thanks!

Hi there!

I know that people who had gap year do feel worried sometimes before starting medicine, but I would first just say that it really isn't a problem at St George's. During my first year of medicine, St George's offered extra lectures and extra support in the useful things to know from A Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths for anyone that wanted it - it was completely optional and aimed at people like you who haven't done science in a while or who didn't do those A Level subjects.

It's great that you are thinking ahead already - I would recommend that it might be useful to look and remind yourself of some of the basics in A Level biology in terms of cells, enzymes and receptors. Honestly I would not stress yourself - you will be taught it again when you arrive and provided with resources to help remind yourself.

I wouldn't consider it necessary for you to relearn your A Level Chemistry again at all - it's the biology basics that are much relevant. As for Maths, when you do statistics in Medicine at St George's, they will completely teach you again from scratch in small groups- it's a really supportive environment.

You won't be at a disadvantage having had a gap year at all! In fact I'm sure you've gained some other really useful skills during your gap year that will help you during your years of medicine.

Hope that helps.

Millie,
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London
Hi!
Do you know when we can apply for accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending