The Student Room Group

Are you eating meat today?

Christian traditions dictate that you shouldn't eat meat on Good Friday.

Are you following this custom today?

Some of you might be doing this anyway if you're veggie/vegan.

Some of you might be following this as a religious practice.

Some of you may be eating meat regardless. What will you do?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, well tradition says a lot of things. I suspect at crucifixions various food & drink were served.
Just had a fish-based meal! :yes:
Reply 3
I won't be eating meat today because of my family's traditions and I wouldn't want to disrespect those, whatever my personal beliefs. Besides, I would have to cook for myself if I wanted anything different!!
nope. giving it a miss today.
I'll be having a burger for lunch today...
Yes.
Had a beef kebab roll for breakfast at 2am.
I had chicken popcorn from kfc earlier and I’m now drinking coffee and we all know coffee beans come from chickens
(edited 1 year ago)
Nope, no meat for us. Fish n chips.
(And yes it's for religious reasons).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 04MR17

Fish for us, we are Christians
Had my communion and raised "culturally" Catholic but I'm an atheist and I gladly ate a beef burger not long ago. Religion is BS.
I didn't ask for your religious beliefs or for your opinion did I? You maybe be atheist but you're also rude. I was merely answering the question asked by 04MR17
Salmon, baked potatoes and green beans for dinner today.
Original post by 04MR17

Could you please clarify the reason behind this? I'm from a different religion, but I would love to know it.
Original post by EmmaKHunt
I didn't ask for your religious beliefs or for your opinion did I? You maybe be atheist but you're also rude. I was merely answering the question asked by 04MR17

They weren't talking to you and they have the same right to share opinions as you do.
I havent eaten meat today. Nothing to do with tradition- just that the meals i have had (pizza etc) happened to not include meat.
I'm not, my church community hasn't has meat throughout lent, so the food they served today was vegetarian!
Can't wait to have meat again this sunday though haha
Original post by EmmaKHunt

They didn't ask for your opinion either, and didn't even quote you. Just because their message is directly under yours, it doesn't mean they're talking to you.
Original post by Meheraj
Could you please clarify the reason behind this? I'm from a different religion, but I would love to know it.

The Roman Catholic church encourages practicing catholics to abstain from eating meat on Fridays during the 40 days of Lent.

Many of the ultra-traditionalist catholics like my maternal grandmother are doing a black fast for Good Friday.
This means consuming no food or water during the daytime and ending their fast with one daily meal which must not include any alcohol, dairy products, eggs and meat. Fish is allowed.
I am a Christian and I didn't know that. 👀

My girlfriend cooked chicken for dinner. I ate it without question. So, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest