The Student Room Group

Do We Still Need Plan B?

So me and my girlfriend were having sex but the condom split but we noticed not too long after the suspected split moment and stopped what we were doing and ordered Plan B (ellaone) to collect from our local boots tomorrow but she just told me she has just started her period just under 10 hours after we had the accident. so my question is, does she still need to take the Plan B or will she now not get pregnent?
She is perfectly safe (assuming a regular cycle). No need for emergency contraception. Did you finish in her?
Reply 2
It is still possible to get pregnant despite her period starting. Did she take the ellaone following on from the incident?
Original post by mmpi
It is still possible to get pregnant despite her period starting. Did she take the ellaone following on from the incident?

You're wrong. Unless her periods were very frequent and a very abnormal cycle it is basically impossible she is pregnant. For a normal cycle you bleed on day 0 and ovulate day 14. You are fertile for about 2 days around ovulation. The period is about 10 days after there is a pregnancy risk so no chance of a baby. Posts like yours only worry people and defy basic biology and reproductive physiology.
Reply 4
Original post by Apachecow
You're wrong. Unless her periods were very frequent and a very abnormal cycle it is basically impossible she is pregnant. For a normal cycle you bleed on day 0 and ovulate day 14. You are fertile for about 2 days around ovulation. The period is about 10 days after there is a pregnancy risk so no chance of a baby. Posts like yours only worry people and defy basic biology and reproductive physiology.

My intent was never to worry anyone unnecessarily, however it is important to note that the risk is not zero.

I appreciate you giving a breakdown of the menstrual cycle which may benefit others. I am speaking from a place of education, perhaps I could have provided more detail for OP. The NHS website itself notes that it is indeed possible, which is what I stated in my own response above. This can be found here - https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/can-i-get-pregnant-just-after-my-period-has-finished/#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20sex%20without,first%20time%20you%20have%20sex.

I am more than happy to discuss and dispel healthcare myths and to provide guidance where I can. I assure you that I am not blindly posting unfounded guidance.

Source: It is my day job.
Original post by mmpi
Source: It is my day job.

Same. You will then realise that the risk of the OP being pregnant (unless her cycle wildly abnormal) is so close to zero that she doesn't need to take any emergency contraception, although I accept there is a miniscule possibility the main reason that is there for the 1 in a million person who has a completely erratic cycle and becomes pregnant. The information is arse covering and does very little to reassure the OP or understand and educate the fundamentals of reproductive physiology.

I also suspect there is an element of deliberate scaremongering (over the arse covering) telling people that technically a pregnancy is possible at any point in the cycle and therefore pushing contraception use. Again, that is the responsible thing to do, but so is reassuring people that are worried by situations based on sound scientific advice.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest