The Student Room Group

Need some help.

Hello

To put into context, I am in Year 13, studying A Level History, Psychology and a diploma in Criminology (Its 1 year AS and 2nd year A level.) History is 3 separate time eras: Tudors 1500s, American Dream 1900s and Indian Independence 1800s-1930s ish. I do not want to go to university, the whole idea of going to sixth form in the first place was I wanted to figure out what I want to do past post 16, which I know now is an Apprenticeship when I am 19. My apprenticeship is already sorted and I am looking to begin this in October of 2024, as it is not available for October 2023.

I am just in a bit of a sticky situation. I am so tired of sixth form, and absolutely cannot wait for it to be over. The last year and a half has been one of the most tricky time periods of my life so far and I am really done with it now and need some help on exams. I was in Year 10 when the Covid pandemic started, so I never had the chance to do revision effectively and learn how to revise with good techniques or anything. This has left me in a position where I do not really know where to start, what to target, and how to revise effectively because all I seem to find myself doing is reading over notes, as for me I don't find mindmaps etc that useful for me.

Tomorrow, my mock exams for Psychology and History begin for 3 days. They are just past papers, but the issue I have is revision and the fact that I know I will not do well in these exams. Throughout my studies I have struggled most with History, and Criminology being a diploma is completely separate so it's under examination through coursework rather end of year exams. I do not struggle with psychology. The issue I am having is that in History, I just don't understand 2/3 of the course. Due to the course being split into 3 separate examined time periods, it makes me feel as if I'm studying 5 A levels rather than 3, which means that History is taking up 80% of the time I spend during study sessions and homework. During last year, there was so much disruption in my History class where 2 of my teachers, one for America and one for Tudors had left, meaning finding us another teacher who knew the topics meant we didn't have a teacher for nearly 2 months for both. Now all that happens in class when we do practice questions is that if we get less than 10/20, we get moaned at by the teacher saying we do not revise enough, do not prepare enough, etc etc, and it is well and truly bringing me down to a very low point. I have spent most of my Christmas holidays and the last week trying to prepare for these exams, most notably focusing on America yet it still feels like I know nothing. I have tried practice questions and I just don't know anything to plan, let alone write.

It's got to the point now where I am tired of trying for History, and instead I want to focus on the other two as I am doing so well in these yet all my time is spent on History. In Psychology my predicted is a B and I'm working at a high B, close to an A which I want to get in my real A levels. Criminology I am predicted a B and am working at a B, which I am also happy with. However, history I am predicted a C yet working at an E. In all honesty, I think id rather study and focus on Psychology and Criminology and leave my A level studies with AAE or ABE than CCD/CDC etc, and considering I have my future studies planned and am not tied down to university offers, I am perfectly okay with leaving with 2 good A levels than 3 horrendous ones. I have friends doing the exact same subjects as me, and they all feel the same way. We feel like we are a year behind, and would rather get 2 great results than 3 meh ones.

TL:biggrin:R: Missed out on exams during GCSE, don't know good revision techniques. Doing amazing in 2 of my 3 A levels yet i'm failing one due to lots of disruption of teachers leaving, lost time, and lack of help. I'm not looking to go to Uni so I am not tied down to offers subject to conditions, therefore I am happy to leave A levels with 2 great results rather than 3 horrible ones. Please read the above if need more info.

Any guidance, help, anything will be truly appreciated about how I can go about fixing the issues I am having. There is only 4 months until the real exams, therefore time is creeping up fast.
(edited 1 year ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by AQAscaresme
Hello

To put into context, I am in Year 13, studying A Level History, Psychology and a diploma in Criminology (Its 1 year AS and 2nd year A level.) History is 3 separate time eras: Tudors 1500s, American Dream 1900s and Indian Independence 1800s-1930s ish. I do not want to go to university, the whole idea of going to sixth form in the first place was I wanted to figure out what I want to do past post 16, which I know now is an Apprenticeship when I am 19. My apprenticeship is already sorted and I am looking to begin this in October of 2024, as it is not available for October 2023.

I am just in a bit of a sticky situation. I am so tired of sixth form, and absolutely cannot wait for it to be over. The last year and a half has been one of the most tricky time periods of my life so far and I am really done with it now and need some help on exams. I was in Year 10 when the Covid pandemic started, so I never had the chance to do revision effectively and learn how to revise with good techniques or anything. This has left me in a position where I do not really know where to start, what to target, and how to revise effectively because all I seem to find myself doing is reading over notes, as for me I don't find mindmaps etc that useful for me.

Tomorrow, my mock exams for Psychology and History begin for 3 days. They are just past papers, but the issue I have is revision and the fact that I know I will not do well in these exams. Throughout my studies I have struggled most with History, and Criminology being a diploma is completely separate so it's under examination through coursework rather end of year exams. I do not struggle with psychology. The issue I am having is that in History, I just don't understand 2/3 of the course. Due to the course being split into 3 separate examined time periods, it makes me feel as if I'm studying 5 A levels rather than 3, which means that History is taking up 80% of the time I spend during study sessions and homework. During last year, there was so much disruption in my History class where 2 of my teachers, one for America and one for Tudors had left, meaning finding us another teacher who knew the topics meant we didn't have a teacher for nearly 2 months for both. Now all that happens in class when we do practice questions is that if we get less than 10/20, we get moaned at by the teacher saying we do not revise enough, do not prepare enough, etc etc, and it is well and truly bringing me down to a very low point. I have spent most of my Christmas holidays and the last week trying to prepare for these exams, most notably focusing on America yet it still feels like I know nothing. I have tried practice questions and I just don't know anything to plan, let alone write.

It's got to the point now where I am tired of trying for History, and instead I want to focus on the other two as I am doing so well in these yet all my time is spent on History. In Psychology my predicted is a B and I'm working at a high B, close to an A which I want to get in my real A levels. Criminology I am predicted a B and am working at a B, which I am also happy with. However, history I am predicted a C yet working at an E. In all honesty, I think id rather study and focus on Psychology and Criminology and leave my A level studies with AAE or ABE than CCD/CDC etc, and considering I have my future studies planned and am not tied down to university offers, I am perfectly okay with leaving with 2 good A levels than 3 horrendous ones. I have friends doing the exact same subjects as me, and they all feel the same way. We feel like we are a year behind, and would rather get 2 great results than 3 meh ones.

TL:biggrin:R: Missed out on exams during GCSE, don't know good revision techniques. Doing amazing in 2 of my 3 A levels yet i'm failing one due to lots of disruption of teachers leaving, lost time, and lack of help. I'm not looking to go to Uni so I am not tied down to offers subject to conditions, therefore I am happy to leave A levels with 2 great results rather than 3 horrible ones. Please read the above if need more info.

Any guidance, help, anything will be truly appreciated about how I can go about fixing the issues I am having. There is only 4 months until the real exams, therefore time is creeping up fast.

How did u find ur apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest