The Student Room Group

Cambridge Sports

Can anybody speak to the difference between Rowing and other sports at Cambridge? Everyone always talks about how special it is to row for Cambridge/Oxford.
It's a big deal to row for the university, mainly because the Varsity (Oxford v Cambridge competition) for rowing has a very high profile it takes place live on BBC One in the middle of London. Only the rugby Varsity comes close in profile, and even that isn't what it used to be.

If you're not in the main university rowing team, then it's not much different to any other sport in terms of being special, though in my experience rowing is probably the most popular sport at Cambridge,
Original post by Saracen's Fez
It's a big deal to row for the university, mainly because the Varsity (Oxford v Cambridge competition) for rowing has a very high profile it takes place live on BBC One in the middle of London. Only the rugby Varsity comes close in profile, and even that isn't what it used to be.

If you're not in the main university rowing team, then it's not much different to any other sport in terms of being special, though in my experience rowing is probably the most popular sport at Cambridge,

How are the members of the school's rowing team chosen? And how good are they generally (in comparison to national/olympic/etc athletes)?
Original post by Anonymous
How are the members of the school's rowing team chosen? And how good are they generally (in comparison to national/olympic/etc athletes)?

Do you mean the university team? I don't really know but I suspect it's about rowing well for your college in the inter-college races and getting spotted for by the uni boat club.

I don't know enough about rowing to know about the standard but Cambridge has produced recent GB Olympic rowers.
Original post by Anonymous
Can anybody speak to the difference between Rowing and other sports at Cambridge? Everyone always talks about how special it is to row for Cambridge/Oxford.

Cricket also has a high profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending