The Student Room Group

Re: should i apply to cambridge?

Original post by Anonymous
i'm about to go into year 13 and thought i would be applying to cambridge for modern and medieval languages, but i am having serious doubts at the moment. i used to really want to go to oxbridge as to be honest i was pretty much consumed by academics at gcse, but over year 12 i have taken a more relaxed attitude (not at the expense of my grades, more in attempt to reduce the pressure i put myself under). i'm really lucky in that i go to a very good school so i have all a* grades at gcse and for my predicted a level grades, and i genuinely do think that i would be able to keep up with the workload at cambridge, i'm just really not sure if that's what i want for myself anymore. the whole application process is already stressing me out quite a lot, and i'm starting to feel like i actually prefer unis like edinburgh and durham because although they are both still very academic it seems like the uni experience is much less focussed on solely academics, which is how the cambridge experience comes across to me. moreover, i don't really like the lack of independence you get at cambridge in order to be able to manage the workload (e.g., no job, halls of residence for the entirety of your degree, no proper options of self catering) and i'm worried it would almost feel too much like a boarding school. however, there are obvious pros to cambridge in that i would be getting a world class degree in a subject i love and it offers significant advantages in terms of employability in later life. i also feel like i'd be letting my younger self down by not applying and that i might regret not applying in the future, but then again if i did get in (which i'm aware is obviously pretty difficult) i feel like i'd kind of have to go, so i'm really not sure what to do, especially since i've only really realised that i feel this way about applying recently. i just don't want to make a rash decision either way which i regret later.

As you say, applying doesn't mean you'll get an offer. Also, despite you saying that "if i did get in ... i feel like i'd kind of have to go" you wouldn't have to take up any offer that was forthcoming. People do turn down Oxbridge offers.

Given your "i just don't want to make a rash decision either way which i regret later" comment, I'd say the safest option would be to apply. If you don't get an offer, then so be it - the decision about whether to attend Cambridge or not has been made for you. And I sure you'd do wonderfully at Edinburgh or Durham or wherever.

However, if you were lucky enough to get an offer, then you've given yourself about 9 months (from now) breathing space in which to avoid rushing into a decision. Use that time to attend open days, talk to existing students, read more online, etc. until you can feel comfortable with whatever decision you ultimately make.
Reply 1
Have you thought about Oxford? Despite being lumped together, Oxford and Cambridge are quite different in many ways, as well as being quite similar. The cohort of people applying to Durham, Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh are usually all the same people as they are all really good unis. In Oxford are many colleges where you can self cater throughout and can live out, some colleges you have to live out in some years. Also, the focus on academics is not as strong as you might think. Most students have very rich sporting/ musical/ partying lives outside their academia. I don’t think you owe your younger self anything . My advice would be to visit Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham and Cambridge and get a feel for all of them to help you make up your mind. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending