The Student Room Group

How can I stop my university from downloading files to my personal computer?

I have recently noticed there are a few files on my desktop which I have came to realise I have not downloaded. They are files from lecturers I have either not heard a lot about/even had or on topics which I have not even started looking at.
From what it seems, they have uploaded the file onto my onedrive, which has then in turn appeared on my desktop because onedrive is synced up to my computer like that. I know for sure that I have not downloaded these files or saved them because the date modified is on days which I was slacking on doing any work on.
Can my university even do this? I don't recall giving any type of permission on either my computer or on onedrive when I first logged into it, but at the end of the day it does belong to the university so if its theirs then they have the right to save files onto it??? Any advice on how to prevent this in the future?
It's possible that your university has a policy in place that allows them to remotely upload files onto your computer through OneDrive or other similar platforms. However, it's important to check your university's policy on this matter to determine if they have the right to do so without your explicit permission.

To prevent this from happening in the future, you can try the following:

Review and adjust the sync settings on your OneDrive account. You can choose which folders or files you want to sync to your computer, and which ones you don't.

Enable two-factor authentication on your OneDrive account to prevent unauthorized access.

Contact your university's IT department to inquire about their policy on remotely uploading files onto student's computers. Ask if they have the right to do so without explicit permission, and if there is an opt-out option available.

Regularly review your computer and OneDrive folders to ensure that there are no unfamiliar files or documents. If you notice any, you can delete them or contact your university's IT department to inquire about them.

It's always a good idea to regularly review the privacy and security settings of any accounts or platforms you use, and to be aware of the policies and regulations surrounding their use.
Original post by crcks
I have recently noticed there are a few files on my desktop which I have came to realise I have not downloaded. They are files from lecturers I have either not heard a lot about/even had or on topics which I have not even started looking at.
From what it seems, they have uploaded the file onto my onedrive, which has then in turn appeared on my desktop because onedrive is synced up to my computer like that. I know for sure that I have not downloaded these files or saved them because the date modified is on days which I was slacking on doing any work on.
Can my university even do this? I don't recall giving any type of permission on either my computer or on onedrive when I first logged into it, but at the end of the day it does belong to the university so if its theirs then they have the right to save files onto it??? Any advice on how to prevent this in the future?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending