The Student Room Group

When do atrioventricular vales open and close?

I saw this on a website is the information correct as I can't seem to wrap my head around it
I do a level biology Aqa

Atrioventricular valve closed
- When pressure in atrium is higher than in ventricle→prevents backflow of blood from ventricle to atrium
- Atrioventricular valve open
- When pressure higher in ventricle than atrium→blood flows from ventricle to
atrium
(edited 1 year ago)
In my head I thought atrioventricular valves open when there is a high pressure in the atrium and would close when there is a higher pressure in the ventricles to prevent back flow but that is the opposite to what it says in the above notes

Can anyone help?
Original post by studenttttty
In my head I thought atrioventricular valves open when there is a high pressure in the atrium and would close when there is a higher pressure in the ventricles to prevent back flow but that is the opposite to what it says in the above notes

Can anyone help?

That’s what I heard can you link the original website
Original post by Uniiiiiiii
That’s what I heard can you link the original website

That’s what makes sense as if there is high pressure in atria and low in ventricle the valves are “forced open” letting blood go to the ventricles reducing pressure in the atria and increasing in the ventricles
Original post by studenttttty
I saw this on a website is the information correct as I can't seem to wrap my head around it
I do a level biology Aqa

Atrioventricular valve closed
- When pressure in atrium is higher than in ventricle→prevents backflow of blood from ventricle to atrium
- Atrioventricular valve open
- When pressure higher in ventricle than atrium→blood flows from ventricle to
atrium

This is the other way around, when the pressure is higher in the ventricle, the valve closes and when it is higher in the atrium the valve opens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending