The Student Room Group

A-level Exams and Support for Autism and Dyspraxia

I am currently in the waiting list for an autism assessment and I think I may have dyspraxia. I perform above average academically, however I think that because of this I may not be taken seriously if I ask my sixth form for support. I get sensory overload so I don’t perform as well as possible in exams and in lessons, I try to block it out and instead spend a lot of time doing that instead of actually focusing and learning and answering questions. My grades have slipped because of that and my teachers think that I’m just not putting in the effort and not achieving my potential. Since I’m in year 13 and my exam’s are in a month’s time, I don’t think it’s possible to get exam adjustments, but I’m not sure. Would I be able to get post exam consideration if I get a diagnosis then? I don’t really know how to proceed and work this out tbh. Also is it possible to get a diagnosis for dyspraxia as an adult in the NHS? I’ve looked at the symptoms and they do match with the things I struggle with that I’ve always kinda find hard to explain. I don’t think that people would also believe I have dyspraxia as I can write well and am an artist. However, I did struggle a lot with it when I was younger and was weaker at it compared to my peers. It took me a long time and a lot of effort to improve. But still, even though writing and drawing isn’t as much an issue, I still struggle with other areas. I often trip over thin air and knock over things and just find sort of coordinating my movement difficult. Please could someone advise me what to do and who to speak to and gain support from. Thank you.
Hey I'm in y11 now referral for DCD I did get Extra Time by JCQ as I have DLD development language disorder it's for me processing things like spoken or written also

https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/AA_regs_21-22_v11.pdf

Here hope it works glad I could help if I did tho to your extent idk I have learning difficulties
Hey also I think I used to get sensory overload would it be possible to describe that for me please
My teachers didn't wanna help with my social skills they have left me the senco team basically even a speech therapist as being in y11
Reply 4
Original post by Forgotten one
I am currently in the waiting list for an autism assessment and I think I may have dyspraxia. I perform above average academically, however I think that because of this I may not be taken seriously if I ask my sixth form for support. I get sensory overload so I don’t perform as well as possible in exams and in lessons, I try to block it out and instead spend a lot of time doing that instead of actually focusing and learning and answering questions. My grades have slipped because of that and my teachers think that I’m just not putting in the effort and not achieving my potential. Since I’m in year 13 and my exam’s are in a month’s time, I don’t think it’s possible to get exam adjustments, but I’m not sure. Would I be able to get post exam consideration if I get a diagnosis then? I don’t really know how to proceed and work this out tbh. Also is it possible to get a diagnosis for dyspraxia as an adult in the NHS? I’ve looked at the symptoms and they do match with the things I struggle with that I’ve always kinda find hard to explain. I don’t think that people would also believe I have dyspraxia as I can write well and am an artist. However, I did struggle a lot with it when I was younger and was weaker at it compared to my peers. It took me a long time and a lot of effort to improve. But still, even though writing and drawing isn’t as much an issue, I still struggle with other areas. I often trip over thin air and knock over things and just find sort of coordinating my movement difficult. Please could someone advise me what to do and who to speak to and gain support from. Thank you.

I'd suggest speaking to your school's exams officer, they will probably know the most about this sort of thing. Speaking to the SEN lead at your school might also be helpful, but it's the exams officer's job usually to process these kinds of exam arrangements so I would imagine they'd know.

Also re dyspraxia, this page https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/developmental-coordination-disorder-dyspraxia-in-adults/ suggests you can get a diagnosis as an adult from the NHS, so see your GP about that.
Hi,
I was put on the waiting list for an autism assessment in 2020 and got diagnoised 2023,
For sixth form I was able to have adjustments due to having the letter saying that I was in the middle of an assessment however I did have a formal diagnosis of anxiety and depression at the time so when they applied for adjustments they used that as a reason for things like exam adjustments as the process to get adjustments is hard as if it isn't a private school they require extra funding to do this which isn't in the budget so they have to apply to a board to get the funding so you normally need loads of outstadning evidence for it.
For the consideration about the results that unfortunately isn't possible, however some unis not all will lower the entry requirements if you have the diagnosis (not all) but this would depend on you having the assessment before results day.
For sensory overload I would ask about adjustments as I used ear defenders but also I was allowed to leave the lessons 5 minutes early to not be in the big rush as well as being able to leave the lesson if everything was getting too much. These didn't take long to get put into place so you would still have time for it
If you have any more questions about the assessment process please let me know or if you just have any more questions in general :wink:
As for the dyspraxia not saying you do or don't have it however I have co-oridation problems which present as dyspraxia however are all caused by the autism and having a diagnosis of dyspraxia if you have another nuerodivergent condition is a lot harder as they have to differentiate
Original post by Singh715
Hey also I think I used to get sensory overload would it be possible to describe that for me please

Do you have a diagnosis of autism (just wondering as you said you were part of the senco)
For me it is mainly sound but can be all of the different senses,
So I can't block out sensory input and I'm over sensitive to noises
For sound it is all the different noises coming together (like a shopping centre with all the conversations and noises of cash machines) or a certain sound like hand dryers, it causes a meltdown and physcially can't cope with it, normally for me it isn't volume so the hand dryer can be quieter than someone shouting but it would impact me more. I would also say that it's picking up and being bothered by noises that others don't notice like the fridge or a light noise
For light personally I find the flickering, or the type of light or even change in light intensity can cause a really bad headache
For sight personally for me its taking in all the details at once as I'm really detailed orrientated and notice all the small details that others miss so when I'm in a new place it can be so overwhelming and not knowing what to expect
However, speaking to other autistic people and other allistic people allistic people can experience these problems when anxious but not to the same extent but with autistic however other nuerodivergent conditions can cause it but SPD apart from by itself is most associated with ASD individuals the pain and temperature senses are also impacted so I have a really high pain and temperature (don't fell the hot or cold) tollerance which sounds good but because of this I got a second degree burn without realising as I didn't know the thing was hot and couldn't feel my skin burning
Hope this helps
(edited 1 year ago)
Oh sorry I'm not part of the sen team I have Speciql Educationql Needs I'm q student I'm 16 I have Learning Difficulties & Development Language Disorder I just recently in y11 the last yr of secondary got referral for a Dyspraxia test hope that's clearer
Original post by Singh715
Oh sorry I'm not part of the sen team I have Speciql Educationql Needs I'm q student I'm 16 I have Learning Difficulties & Development Language Disorder I just recently in y11 the last yr of secondary got referral for a Dyspraxia test hope that's clearer

Ok,
Sorry I don't think I was clear, as a part of the sen team I meant as a student like they made adjustments for you
Hope you get the dyspraxia test soon
Oh that about the SEND TEAM so I see sorry for that I will re word that

I was seen in yrs 7 and 9 only by the Speech Theparist

I also have been registered / been seen by CAHMS for Anxiety

I have a OT at one of the NHS clinic / under the care of a OT

And also a Genetic Contusult at GOSH apologises for my spelling I have dyslexia

Quick Reply

Latest