The Student Room Group

pushups

how to make progress on doing pushups. Also, any advice on back exercises (since I've heard just doing pushups can lead to poor posture).
Original post by Anonymous
how to make progress on doing pushups. Also, any advice on back exercises (since I've heard just doing pushups can lead to poor posture).

note please ensure your suggestions can be done at home with pretty much no equipment. Much appreciated!
how to make progress on doing pushups. Also, any advice on back exercises (since I heard that pushups can lead to poor posture fixture).

Hi, I don't know much about it but as per my knowledge there's not such thing like that but from where you heard this?

You've mentioned posture issue and it's usually due to no exercise, using laptop or mobiles continuously and sitting at a spot for so long. These are few reason as per my knowledge that can lead to posture issue, pushups are helpful for body.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Try getting a pull up bar to put in your room, pull ups are arguably one of the best back exercises. Maybe normal push ups have become too easy? If so have you tried harder variations like diamond, pike push ups ect..?
Original post by Mike Colady
Hi, I don't know much about it but as per my knowledge there's not such thing like that but from where you heard this?

You've mentioned posture issue and it's usually due to no exercise, using laptop or mobiles continuously and sitting at a spot for so long. These are few reason as per my knowledge that can lead to posture issue, pushups are helpful for body.

when you use your 'pushing' muscles (e.g. chest, triceps, shoulders) way more compared to 'pulling' muscles (e.g. back, biceps), the imbalance can cause rounded shoulders and ultimately poor posture.
Original post by JVL145
Try getting a pull up bar to put in your room, pull ups are arguably one of the best back exercises. Maybe normal push ups have become too easy? If so have you tried harder variations like diamond, pike push ups ect..?

Any advice on getting my 1st proper pullup?
Down slowly (3 - 4 seconds) and explode up. That's what I've always stuck with and it works for me. Try different variations such as military, diamond, wide, pike etc. Work on increasing your reps over time and maintaining good form. That being said, what works for me may end up not working for you so experiment a bit.

As for back exercises, invest in a pullup bar or resistance bands. If this isn't an option, inverted rows are a decent substitute.
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
Down slowly (3 - 4 seconds) and explode up. That's what I've always stuck with and it works for me. Try different variations such as military, diamond, wide, pike etc. Work on increasing your reps over time and maintaining good form. That being said, what works for me may end up not working for you so experiment a bit.

As for back exercises, invest in a pullup bar or resistance bands. If this isn't an option, inverted rows are a decent substitute.

what you have said makes sense so it should work. Although, I do realise that when I do pushups I only feel it in my shoulders/ triceps but never in my chest even though I try to maintain good form (hands directly below shoulder, body squeezed tight to avoid releasing energy, all the way up and down).
what you have said makes sense so it should work. Although, I do realise that when I do pushups I only feel it in my shoulders/ triceps but never in my chest even though I try to maintain good form (hands directly below shoulder, body squeezed tight to avoid releasing energy, all the way up and down).

any insights on this?

Quick Reply

Latest