The Student Room Group

Friends

I stopped talking to my friends summer 2021. I now want to become friends with them. They have all become closer together but are still willing to be my friend. They are all extroverts and ljke to talk all day whereas I am an introvert. So what should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I stopped talking to my friends summer 2021. I now want to become friends with them. They have all become closer together but are still willing to be my friend. They are all extroverts and ljke to talk all day whereas I am an introvert. So what should I do?

Start with a 'hi' and ask them how their life has been throughout the years. If there was ever a miscommunication from your end, just tell them you're sorry and you feel bad about it. I think if a sorry can help rectifying mistakes, then it's better to say it which will also remove all the hard feelings between friends.

Hope this helps!

Good luck! ☺️
Original post by Meheraj
Start with a 'hi' and ask them how their life has been throughout the years. If there was ever a miscommunication from your end, just tell them you're sorry and you feel bad about it. I think if a sorry can help rectifying mistakes, then it's better to say it which will also remove all the hard feelings between friends.

Hope this helps!

Good luck! ☺️

Yes so recently I have gone out with them all separately, however they still have separate group chats. I’m too scared to message on the group chat with them all I’m not sure why. Also one of the girls has been inviting me to hang out with the other girls. But I think because I have not planned anything she stopped asking me. What should I do now?
Yes so recently I have gone out with them all separately, however they still have separate group chats. I’m too scared to message on the group chat with them all I’m not sure why. Also one of the girls has been inviting me to hang out with the other girls. But I think because I have not planned anything she stopped asking me. What should I do now?

If you think more, you won't be able to diminish the distance between you and your friends. Hence, the best action you can take at the moment is to communicate with them and inform them that you would love to hang out with them. I'm also an introvert, and I was way more so in the past. But I'm trying to be more open these days, and it's helping me negotiate things with others. You can also follow this way if you prefer.
Original post by Meheraj
If you think more, you won't be able to diminish the distance between you and your friends. Hence, the best action you can take at the moment is to communicate with them and inform them that you would love to hang out with them. I'm also an introvert, and I was way more so in the past. But I'm trying to be more open these days, and it's helping me negotiate things with others. You can also follow this way if you prefer.

Yes, so I have been out with them recently, but it’s more like out of convenience. They have a way of making plans and going out and I seem to rock that boat, so they don’t include me for everything. If there was a gc and I was dominating that gc and making plans on there they would surely follow. What should I do?
Yes, so I have been out with them recently, but it’s more like out of convenience. They have a way of making plans and going out and I seem to rock that boat, so they don’t include me for everything. If there was a gc and I was dominating that gc and making plans on there they would surely follow. What should I do?

Are you guys friends for a long time or you just met them a few days ago? Do they know that you aren't as quite extroverted as them and how do you feel about it? If they don't, find a friend who's a bit closer to you and tell him/her that you're trying to be more open-minded. What you just need to have some space and are they eager to give it to make you a good friend of them? Also, do you know how they are? Like in some groups, there are some friends who always value everyone. Talk to those guys about what you can do to interact with them more.

As you said if you make plans they'll follow. Try this as well. Think about a plan and let them know that you're thinking about it. Look how would they react. If you see they're interested, then what you need to do is carry on with it.
Original post by Meheraj
Are you guys friends for a long time or you just met them a few days ago? Do they know that you aren't as quite extroverted as them and how do you feel about it? If they don't, find a friend who's a bit closer to you and tell him/her that you're trying to be more open-minded. What you just need to have some space and are they eager to give it to make you a good friend of them? Also, do you know how they are? Like in some groups, there are some friends who always value everyone. Talk to those guys about what you can do to interact with them more.

As you said if you make plans they'll follow. Try this as well. Think about a plan and let them know that you're thinking about it. Look how would they react. If you see they're interested, then what you need to do is carry on with it.

I’ve tried hard getting to know them on an individual level. Whilst it has worked at some points in getting closer to the group, they don’t all reciprocate with the same energy I want and need. So it might be a thing where if I was very involved in the group chat then naturally individual friendships would flow from that. But I find it scary talking and messaging on a big gc since I’m scared people will ignore it. Also they message on I message and Instagram and I’m not on either of those gc.
I’ve tried hard getting to know them on an individual level. Whilst it has worked at some points in getting closer to the group, they don’t all reciprocate with the same energy I want and need. So it might be a thing where if I was very involved in the group chat then naturally individual friendships would flow from that. But I find it scary talking and messaging on a big gc since I’m scared people will ignore it. Also they message on I message and Instagram and I’m not on either of those gc.

Don't stop making efforts. Keep pushing. The harder you go, the more success is guaranteed. And most importantly, don't lose patience. Every individual is different to some degree. So you need to follow different paths for everyone. Don't worry if everyone doesn't accept you instantly. It would take some time to ease things amongst all. Don't be afraid of thinking they might reject you. If you do that, you won't be able to progress. Try texting in those groups. If they really consider you their friend, they'll accept you at some point. Otherwise, you know what you've to do.
Original post by Meheraj
Don't stop making efforts. Keep pushing. The harder you go, the more success is guaranteed. And most importantly, don't lose patience. Every individual is different to some degree. So you need to follow different paths for everyone. Don't worry if everyone doesn't accept you instantly. It would take some time to ease things amongst all. Don't be afraid of thinking they might reject you. If you do that, you won't be able to progress. Try texting in those groups. If they really consider you their friend, they'll accept you at some point. Otherwise, you know what you've to do.

So yeah I have been messaging them more recently. I haven’t messaged on the gc since I am a little scared. But it does slightly pht me down knowing how close these girls have become. Especially three of them. They constantly face time each other snap each other etc etc. whereas the other girl doesn’t as much but it makes me feel slightly uneasy.
So yeah I have been messaging them more recently. I haven’t messaged on the gc since I am a little scared. But it does slightly pht me down knowing how close these girls have become. Especially three of them. They constantly face time each other snap each other etc etc. whereas the other girl doesn’t as much but it makes me feel slightly uneasy.

If you don't overcome your fear, you'll always remain in a corner of the shelf. Just get yourself out of your comfort zone and make yourself more open. I don't know whether I should ask it or not, but is there any misunderstanding amongst you all? If not, I'm really yet to understand why they're not involving you. Also, did you notice any indications that could imply that they're ignoring you or they don't want you to be a part of their community?
@Mj4146

Can you please look at the previous texts and help her with some suggestions (if you've any)? Thanks in advance! :smile:
Ok so I think you should take little steps. Tell them that you find it hard to communicate since you're shy. Tell atleast one of them. Ik how it is if like your friends are close but you are not. And it's sad but just tell them that you want to be closer to them. And if they ask you to hang out, just accept that but of course if you are not doing anything ATM. Staying quiet isn't a good thing all the time you should express yourself more.

I don't know if this helps but yeah hope it does.
Original post by Meheraj
If you don't overcome your fear, you'll always remain in a corner of the shelf. Just get yourself out of your comfort zone and make yourself more open. I don't know whether I should ask it or not, but is there any misunderstanding amongst you all? If not, I'm really yet to understand why they're not involving you. Also, did you notice any indications that could imply that they're ignoring you or they don't want you to be a part of their community?

One of the girls does invite me when they do go out as a group. But it’s sort of like they all decide to go out and then one of the girls invites me out separelty. I know if there was a group chat and I messaged on there things wojld be different I guess bc then everyone would make plans on there. It’s also the case as these girls have been very close for a long time so having someone else there might feel s but strange but I guess they are warming up to me. It might also be important to note that I only told one of the girls how I feel and how I want to become closer and she’s the one that has been inviting me out.
One of the girls does invite me when they do go out as a group. But it’s sort of like they all decide to go out and then one of the girls invites me out separelty. I know if there was a group chat and I messaged on there things wojld be different I guess bc then everyone would make plans on there. It’s also the case as these girls have been very close for a long time so having someone else there might feel s but strange but I guess they are warming up to me. It might also be important to note that I only told one of the girls how I feel and how I want to become closer and she’s the one that has been inviting me out.

So I guess that would explain why they’re not inviting me to everything. Also there isn’t really a misunderstanding, I just struggle with communication so I’ve been trying to communicate on the same level as they do. I have been getting better but of course it takes time and effort to make changes when I’ve been so used to being a particular way for so long.
Reply 14

Oh, cool. So, things are progressing well. What you need to do is make yourself more connected with them and be confident. It'll take time for them to adapt as it's just the start of a bonding. After assessing all of your texts, I'm pretty sure you're such a great individual and friendship has huge importance in your life. I believe after a certain time they'll too notice it and will give you the room you're eagerly waiting for. But make sure that you behave equally with everyone.

So I guess that would explain why they’re not inviting me to everything. Also there isn’t really a misunderstanding, I just struggle with communication so I’ve been trying to communicate on the same level as they do. I have been getting better but of course it takes time and effort to make changes when I’ve been so used to being a particular way for so long.

Don't worry. Everything will be alright.

Give it another go. They must really care about you if they're still willing to be friends with you. Best of luck :smile:
So I'm guessing my ideas didn't help...but yk I guess @Meheraj can help you then. And @hyacinth77 can help you too.
Reply 17
Original post by hyacinth77
Give it another go. They must really care about you if they're still willing to be friends with you. Best of luck :smile:

I’ve have actually tried a lot. For me it’s a lot of effort for them it might not seem the same for them. Anyways the girl that has been trying to get me closer to the group, has now grown iffy with me. So it’s like I actually do try but it’s so hard.
You obviously are a valuable part missing in their friendship group if they're still willing to be friends with you after you stopped being friends with them! Take this as a compliment.
Start friendly conversation.
- How their lives have been since you stopped speaking to them.
- What have they been doing?
- Has anything horrible happened?
- Has anything significant happened in their life?
- How has school/college/uni/work been?
- How are their loved ones?

Good luck. Wishing you all the best. <3
Reply 19
Original post by hyacinth77

Thanks all for the lovely messages, I really do appreciate it. I also seem to have another problem. In real life I can really connect and talk to people but over text I seem to be awkward and find it tricky and I am worried I come across boring.

So when it comes to rekindling with these friends, in person I seem to really kick it off but then when I come back home and it comes to texting I just get really bore ing and awkward. What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending