The Student Room Group

I cannot make any friends

I'm genuinely upset and have been crying over this for the past few days.
I cannot make friends in my new 6th form.

I'm like pretty much introverted at skl (events/gathering or public in general is a diff case) but in super shy in skl cuz im always scared imma do one wrong move and ruin my skl life - which has happened during secondary.

I reluctantly joined my 6th form but i do rly like it now, my teachers r great and my class mates are nice too.
However, i cannot find a single friend who does my subjects who will hang out with me. At all!

I've moved onto just meeting ppl from random subject options and talking to them but either they give off tht 'i dont wanna talk to u' vibe or they're just not my vibe (which IK beggars cant be chosers but I genuinely dont wanna hang out with ppl that aren't on my vibe).

I used to go on omegle to try to find help and most said to put myself out there.
So i took the advice today, i put myself out there and tried to ask 2 best friends if i could sit with them. They both gave each other the look and even b4 that pretended they didnt hear me so i had to repeat myself. It made me feel so bad ab myself cuz i had thought they liked me as we talk in form and sometimes during break time.

I cried on the way home cuz i srsly dk what's wrong with me, most ppl dont stick around with me to acc get to know me so idk if my personality is an ick factor for them?

I just wanna make friends 😭
Ive decided tmr im gonna approach my class friend whos part of this big girl group and try to squeeze my way in there for the next week or so (i have done this twice, it failed cuz no one in the group tries to make convo with me or just leaves me hanging irl when i try to speak to them).

Hopefully it goes well but i just know imma chicken out :frown:

Any tips on how to make friends is greatly appreciated.
I would just go home during lunch and study during break but i hate the feeling of knowing i dont have ppl to genuinely hang out with everyday.

Please someone help me.
making friends is hard: both sides need to be reciprocated. i.e the group that you’ve tried talking to twice may not want to be friends with you for whatever reason

friends have a huge impact on your experience at sixth form

Instead forcing yourself to try to make friends with people who can’t reciprocate the same feelings, try going to clubs/societies at lunch, that way you’re forced to talk about some subject. For example a debate club… instead of going home force yourself to stay at school for lunch or break, whether that be in a library or in some class

I hope you make decent friends, remember sometimes it may be better to be alone than have bad friends
Reply 2
Original post by rabiiii379
making friends is hard: both sides need to be reciprocated. i.e the group that you’ve tried talking to twice may not want to be friends with you for whatever reason

friends have a huge impact on your experience at sixth form

Instead forcing yourself to try to make friends with people who can’t reciprocate the same feelings, try going to clubs/societies at lunch, that way you’re forced to talk about some subject. For example a debate club… instead of going home force yourself to stay at school for lunch or break, whether that be in a library or in some class

I hope you make decent friends, remember sometimes it may be better to be alone than have bad friends

I totally get that, i didnt have the best friends during GCSEs but they still made my time in skl worth while.

I've officially given up on making friends and i just sit in classrooms by myself playing games, talking to my friends (family/online) or i go home.

Thanks for the advice but i think ive talked to every single girl who is in my year and I cannot connect with anyone.
Gotta find new hobbies apart from manhwas, anime and gaming ig :'(

TYSM DOE, appreciate the advice.
I can firm it since I get along well with ppl in my classes and rly das all that matter to me. 1 hr of my life being alone every skl day is WAY better than being alone every single lesson
Original post by Anonymous
I totally get that, i didnt have the best friends during GCSEs but they still made my time in skl worth while.

I've officially given up on making friends and i just sit in classrooms by myself playing games, talking to my friends (family/online) or i go home.

Thanks for the advice but i think ive talked to every single girl who is in my year and I cannot connect with anyone.

I can firm it since I get along well with ppl in my classes and rly das all that matter to me. 1 hr of my life being alone every skl day is WAY better than being alone every single lesson

no worries, i myself don’t have ‘close friends’ at sixthform, i mean we talk in school and hang out at lunch but we won’t talk anywhere else apart from in school. but i like it that way, i need my own space even when its too much space.
i know its a personal thing, but don’t worry too much about friends, uni is way different and more diverse
Reply 4
hi there i’ve completely been in this situation in sixth form when i first started, i hated it so much and it was so hard to make friends & it’s definitely going to take time; sometimes it’s best to let people come to you but also try to speak to those who look quiet themselves or without someone to talk to & try to connect to the classmate you sit next to in your lessons cause you’ll see them the most, sixth form is already busy because you have to revise anyways so school will take up your time but definitely get comfortable with your own company & keep up with your hobbies when you’re home to cheer yourself up, if you ever want an online friend i wouldn’t mind being yours !
Reply 5
Original post by rabiiii379

no worries, i myself don’t have ‘close friends’ at sixthform, i mean we talk in school and hang out at lunch but we won’t talk anywhere else apart from in school. but i like it that way, i need my own space even when its too much space.
i know its a personal thing, but don’t worry too much about friends, uni is way different and more diverse

Hopefully i make hella friends during Uni. I deeped it and skl isnt that bad since i still have friends in classes
Reply 6
Original post by user2813
hi there i’ve completely been in this situation in sixth form when i first started, i hated it so much and it was so hard to make friends & it’s definitely going to take time; sometimes it’s best to let people come to you but also try to speak to those who look quiet themselves or without someone to talk to & try to connect to the classmate you sit next to in your lessons cause you’ll see them the most, sixth form is already busy because you have to revise anyways so school will take up your time but definitely get comfortable with your own company & keep up with your hobbies when you’re home to cheer yourself up, if you ever want an online friend i wouldn’t mind being yours !

Omg tysm for the advice! Idm chatting with u if u wanna slide thru my dms
Reply 7
hihi of course ! i’ll try msg youu
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1

Omg tysm for the advice! Idm chatting with u if u wanna slide thru my dms

for me to message you i think you’ll have to come off anonymous though :/

I'm like pretty much introverted at skl (events/gathering or public in general is a diff case) but in super shy in skl cuz im always scared imma do one wrong move and ruin my skl life - which has happened during secondary.

I reluctantly joined my 6th form but i do rly like it now, my teachers r great and my class mates are nice too.
However, i cannot find a single friend who does my subjects who will hang out with me. At all!

I've moved onto just meeting ppl from random subject options and talking to them but either they give off tht 'i dont wanna talk to u' vibe or they're just not my vibe (which IK beggars cant be chosers but I genuinely dont wanna hang out with ppl that aren't on my vibe).

I used to go on omegle to try to find help and most said to put myself out there.
So i took the advice today, i put myself out there and tried to ask 2 best friends if i could sit with them. They both gave each other the look and even b4 that pretended they didnt hear me so i had to repeat myself. It made me feel so bad ab myself cuz i had thought they liked me as we talk in form and sometimes during break time.

I cried on the way home cuz i srsly dk what's wrong with me, most ppl dont stick around with me to acc get to know me so idk if my personality is an ick factor for them?

Ive decided tmr im gonna approach my class friend whos part of this big girl group and try to squeeze my way in there for the next week or so (i have done this twice, it failed cuz no one in the group tries to make convo with me or just leaves me hanging irl when i try to speak to them).

I would just go home during lunch and study during break but i hate the feeling of knowing i dont have ppl to genuinely hang out with everyday.

Please someone help me.

this is such a heartbreaking situation to be in! i've certainly experienced the same thing, and it's a terrible place. making friends is possibly one of the hardest things in the world, especially finding GOOD ones. most of the friends i've had (and now that i'm thinking about, most of my friends aren't good rn either 😭) have been toxic and manipulated me to do stuff for them. it's so sad to watch other people have the same thing. in the end, everybody has at least one person they can turn to, a great friend who you'll confide in and they'll be loyal to you all your life. it might take some time to find them, and it certainly won't be easy to introduce yourself, but you WILL find them eventually. what i recommend doing for now (which is what i did when i was in ur situation) is making online friends on platforms such as discord! there are some wonderful people there, and also some creeps so be careful! but u can meet them through servers and see people who have the same interests as u! it makes u feel good about yourself and honestly, it was the reason i became more open with people in real life for some reason. it's supposed to "isolate you from the real world" but it made me feel more comfortable, if i'm being honest. it might just be me personally, but it's really great!
hope u can meet someone soon ❤️🙏
Reply 10
Original post by mmik_mikaeel

Please someone help me.

this is such a heartbreaking situation to be in! i've certainly experienced the same thing, and it's a terrible place. making friends is possibly one of the hardest things in the world, especially finding GOOD ones. most of the friends i've had (and now that i'm thinking about, most of my friends aren't good rn either 😭) have been toxic and manipulated me to do stuff for them. it's so sad to watch other people have the same thing. in the end, everybody has at least one person they can turn to, a great friend who you'll confide in and they'll be loyal to you all your life. it might take some time to find them, and it certainly won't be easy to introduce yourself, but you WILL find them eventually. what i recommend doing for now (which is what i did when i was in ur situation) is making online friends on platforms such as discord! there are some wonderful people there, and also some creeps so be careful! but u can meet them through servers and see people who have the same interests as u! it makes u feel good about yourself and honestly, it was the reason i became more open with people in real life for some reason. it's supposed to "isolate you from the real world" but it made me feel more comfortable, if i'm being honest. it might just be me personally, but it's really great!
hope u can meet someone soon ❤️🙏

Thank you so much! Honestly all of my past friends have all been toxic in a skl setting so i get wat u mean. HOPEFULLY ill find at least one friend who i can confide in and tell them everything!

Tysm for ur words
Thank you so much! Honestly all of my past friends have all been toxic in a skl setting so i get wat u mean. HOPEFULLY ill find at least one friend who i can confide in and tell them everything!

Tysm for ur words

im so glad to be of help~
plz note im always here for u if u need an online frnd to talk to!
Reply 12
Original post by mmik_mikaeel

Tysm for ur words

im so glad to be of help~
plz note im always here for u if u need an online frnd to talk to!

Tysm
Tysm

you're more than welcome!
Reply 14
Look at you making friends already! 😉 It's so easy...

Not sure that anyone's told you this already but well done for being so brave and trying to squeeze your way in with the people at school.

Admittedly when it's 2 best friends and they know everything about everything and can talk freely, it's going to be harder to just slot in and be the third musketeer! They can't just carry on as usual with someone who decides they should be there listening in or opining (just looking at it from their perspective).So maybe join the chats with bigger groups where you'll be less noticed but can listen and find the people you do think you'll enjoy talking to or notice the people who also look like they could do with a friend.. Either way you've made a good start. :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Spanx
Look at you making friends already! 😉 It's so easy...

Not sure that anyone's told you this already but well done for being so brave and trying to squeeze your way in with the people at school.

Admittedly when it's 2 best friends and they know everything about everything and can talk freely, it's going to be harder to just slot in and be the third musketeer! They can't just carry on as usual with someone who decides they should be there listening in or opining (just looking at it from their perspective).So maybe join the chats with bigger groups where you'll be less noticed but can listen and find the people you do think you'll enjoy talking to or notice the people who also look like they could do with a friend.. Either way you've made a good start. :wink:

Honestly, thank you for appreciating my effort in trying to make friends 😭!
I've tried a lot, and I tots gave up trying to squeeze my way in between them.

My school has very few groups doe, and it's like everyone's part of these 5 massive groups - only 2 being approachable, and it did not work out since I found no one like me.

I did, however, make individual friends and have started hanging out with these 2 girls from my class, rly sweet ppl.
Considering that all i rly wanted was friends, I thought my problems would be over, but ig they're just not the friends i was looking for? I ofc am trying to cherish them for accepting me with open arms but have also made time for myself to just spend time by myself because I've gotten so comfortable doing so for the past few weeks 🤧.

About making friends part, it's not that i can't make friends. I can. I just have experienced some setbacks due to nasty lies spread by a girl (WHO did not even know me, she just didn't like my prescence + the fact tht her friend from my old skl did not like me, and wanted to be relevant ig?) in my year (who luckily has very little influence, but yk how rumours r).

I will try my best to make friends and will not give up as of now tho, hopefully I make good friends!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending