The Student Room Group

Applying for Maths Degree at 23

Recently realised I wanted to go back to uni after dropping out of 1st year Chem way back in 2019. It sprung to me that I like Maths more than Chem or Bio , which I all studied at A Levels .. However, I’m scared that my chances of getting accepted to study a maths degree or a joint maths degree at uni will be much slimmer and at worst , will be impossible since I’ve been out of an educational setting for nearly 5 years now .. Plus , my maths skills sadly is not as sharp as it used to be. Any insights?

Scroll to see replies

You should definitely apply. This is an itch that you should scratch - if you hit 35 with thoughts of would-have, should have, could have then you will have regrets.

You can always self-study maths again to bring yourself up to speed. MIT has a lot of opensource maths modules so you can try your hand at them to get your brain back into numbers.
Original post by mike23mike
You should definitely apply. This is an itch that you should scratch - if you hit 35 with thoughts of would-have, should have, could have then you will have regrets.

You can always self-study maths again to bring yourself up to speed. MIT has a lot of opensource maths modules so you can try your hand at them to get your brain back into numbers.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply , I really appreciate it :smile:
I suppose you’re right .. I might as well try and give it ago . Hindsight is a wonderful thing and just wish I realised that Chemistry wasn’t for me because time is ticking and I’m way behind qualification wise from “peers” :frown: Many thanks again and wish you all the very best!!!
do it math is the best
What grades did you get and which universities might you aim at?
Original post by orangejuze
do it math is the best

Thanks for replying :smile:
Maths is really interesting isn’t it ? However I’m just worried that I might be too rusty and clueless with most topics and this might affect my chances of being accepted to the course :frown:
Like for example, during interview if the interviewer all of a sudden decides to ask me a random question and I struggle to answer then it’ll will just ruin my chances ..
Original post by ajj2000

Hi there ! Thanks for taking the time to reply , I really appreciate it :smile:
My 2018 results were:
B - Chemistry
B - Biology
A* - Maths
A - EPQ
I don’t know why they admitted me to study Chem when I got B and my target grade was an A but they did - I guess pure luck !
Original post by ajj2000

With regards to Uni , I’m not too sure yet :frown:
I dropped out of Manchester Uni way back in 2019 and was really surprised that they me admitted me in despite failing to achieve two of my target grades which is A for both Bio and Chem
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by johnmichael2021
Thanks for replying :smile:
Maths is really interesting isn’t it ? However I’m just worried that I might be too rusty and clueless with most topics and this might affect my chances of being accepted to the course :frown:
Like for example, during interview if the interviewer all of a sudden decides to ask me a random question and I struggle to answer then it’ll will just ruin my chances ..

yep i’ll be studying it too. also taken a year out so having to restudy maths and fm, if you’re applying next year you have plenty of time and the spec should be the same if you sat it not too long ago.
not many math courses have interviews, mostly highly oversubscribed ones that want to differentiate applicants e.g., oxford, so you should be fine with most of it being in the personal statement and reference and previous attainment! trust me i’d mind blank if i had to do an interview too.
yep i’ll be studying it too. also taken a year out so having to restudy maths and fm, if you’re applying next year you have plenty of time and the spec should be the same if you sat it not too long ago.
not many math courses have interviews, mostly highly oversubscribed ones that want to differentiate applicants e.g., oxford, so you should be fine with most of it being in the personal statement and reference and previous attainment! trust me i’d mind blank if i had to do an interview too.

Well good luck and best wishes with you and your studies for next year - I’m sure you’ll ace it :smile:
We’re kinda in the same boat but I’d say you shouldn’t have much trouble going over studies because it’s still quite fresh in your mind :smile:
Me on the other hand , I don’t know because I sat my exams way back in 2018 and haven’t really kept up much with my math spec/ studies apart from the some maths used in chemistry :frown:
Do you mind me asking which universities are you considering of applying to?
(edited 1 year ago)
Well good luck and best wishes with you and your studies for next year - I’m sure you’ll ace it :smile:
We’re kinda in the same boat but I’d say you shouldn’t have much trouble going over studies because it’s still quite fresh in your mind :smile:
Me on the other hand , I don’t know because I sat my exams way back in 2018 and haven’t really kept up much with my math spec/ studies apart from the some maths used in chemistry :frown:
Do you mind me asking which universities are you considering of applying to?

thank you! i'm sure you will be able to catch up by the time you go and study maths, i also advise for you to go through further math spec before you make a decision because it will be a good insight into first year from what i've heard.
i applied to lse, edinburgh, kcl, st andrews and manchester. i firmed lse because even though it's a new course, lse is a very good uni and i am looking towards a career in finance in the future.
thank you! i'm sure you will be able to catch up by the time you go and study maths, i also advise for you to go through further math spec before you make a decision because it will be a good insight into first year from what i've heard.
i applied to lse, edinburgh, kcl, st andrews and manchester. i firmed lse because even though it's a new course, lse is a very good uni and i am looking towards a career in finance in the future.

No worries, I’m sure you’ll be more than alright :smile: !!!!
Thanks so much for all of your advice , it such a massive help and puts me at ease :smile:
Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to also check some further maths spec/material like you said :smile:

The very best of luck with your uni applications, I’m sure you’ll be bombarded with countless offers.. I’m rooting for you !!

P.S.Im also considering a career related to finance but didn’t want to study finance just to keep my options open :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks so much for all of your advice , it such a massive help and puts me at ease :smile:
Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to also check some further maths spec/material like you said :smile:

The very best of luck with your uni applications, I’m sure you’ll be bombarded with countless offers.. I’m rooting for you !!

P.S.Im also considering a career related to finance but didn’t want to study finance just to keep my options open :smile:

no problem and good luck! math opens up so many options!

There are loads of Maths degrees out there and they vary massively. Have a look at Maths where you take a finance option or things like Data Science or stats rather than Mechanics. Research your options and either retake Maths A level or see if you can find an appropriate Access course with Maths in it to get back into a Maths mode of thinking.

no problem and good luck! math opens up so many options!
With regards to Uni , I’m not too sure yet :frown:
I dropped out of Manchester Uni way back in 2019 and was really surprised that they me admitted me in despite failing to achieve two of my target grades which is A for both Bio and Chem

Any idea of the timescales of when you would want to attend? Personally I'd be worried about starting a maths degree after a few years of not doing maths more than I'd be concerned that I might not be accepted. I think this is where timescales come in. Could you restudy maths A level in your spare time? Perhaps take FM AS level to prove to universities that you are up to speed and have studied recently?

I know thats easy to say. Self study is not for everyone and not enjoying it doesn't mean you want enjoy doing a degree. Likewise you might have a reason to want to go to university more quickly.
Original post by ajj2000
Any idea of the timescales of when you would want to attend? Personally I'd be worried about starting a maths degree after a few years of not doing maths more than I'd be concerned that I might not be accepted. I think this is where timescales come in. Could you restudy maths A level in your spare time? Perhaps take FM AS level to prove to universities that you are up to speed and have studied recently?

I know thats easy to say. Self study is not for everyone and not enjoying it doesn't mean you want enjoy doing a degree. Likewise you might have a reason to want to go to university more quickly.

I understand where you’re coming from
and I really appreciate your insights :smile:
I want to apply for the 2024 academic year because I don’t think most universities will be accepting applications anymore.
Is applying for Foundation Maths at uni a good option to refresh to my memory and sharpen my skills and do you think that it would be good enough to boost my profile as a candidate ?
Original post by swanseajack1
There are loads of Maths degrees out there and they vary massively. Have a look at Maths where you take a finance option or things like Data Science or stats rather than Mechanics. Research your options and either retake Maths A level or see if you can find an appropriate Access course with Maths in it to get back into a Maths mode of thinking.

Thank you for your sage advice - I greatly appreciate it :smile:
By access course do you mean like a Foundation Maths course at Uni ?
Thank you for your sage advice - I greatly appreciate it :smile:
By access course do you mean like a Foundation Maths course at Uni ?

No I mean access courses in local colleges biut I dont know if any of them cover Maths. It tends to be humanities and the like but check them out. With your grades I doubt you will need Foundation years. There are loads of courses available for September who will likely take you. Have a look on ucas course search and ring the university concerned for advice.
I understand where you’re coming from
and I really appreciate your insights :smile:
I want to apply for the 2024 academic year because I don’t think most universities will be accepting applications anymore.
Is applying for Foundation Maths at uni a good option to refresh to my memory and sharpen my skills and do you think that it would be good enough to boost my profile as a candidate ?

Hopefully @swanseajack1 can give a bit of insight on foundation degrees - my knowledge of them is limited. I get the impression that they vary a lot, tend to have very different criteria for admission - and possibly of variable quality. Would being a full time student for a year suit you better than working (possibly part time?) and studying maths? Seems a lifestyle choice as much as anything else. I think the normal guidance is that you should take a foundation degree at the university you want to continue in as they don't necessarily transfer very well.

Not sure if there are options open in UCAS extra for 2023 admissions?
Original post by ajj2000
Hopefully @swanseajack1 can give a bit of insight on foundation degrees - my knowledge of them is limited. I get the impression that they vary a lot, tend to have very different criteria for admission - and possibly of variable quality. Would being a full time student for a year suit you better than working (possibly part time?) and studying maths? Seems a lifestyle choice as much as anything else. I think the normal guidance is that you should take a foundation degree at the university you want to continue in as they don't necessarily transfer very well.

Not sure if there are options open in UCAS extra for 2023 admissions?

Foundation years come with problems. They are often only accepted by the place you take them and use up a full years funding. I would avoid unless necessary. Access courses are taken in the local FE college. You have to pay but sometimes dont end up paying if you get your degree. You probably wont need anything formal and access is the main entry method for mature students.

I would discuss this with the university. What you need is just bringing your Maths up to date.

Swansea university as an example still have places for Maths as do most Welsh universities and many English ones. The top ones like Imperial Durham and Warwick will be full but many will have spaces.

A level - ABB - BBB You meet the entry requirement for Swansea as an example. It is only bringing your Maths up to date,

Give a couple of universities a ring not email and discuss it with them.

To include Mathematics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending