The Student Room Group

Geography A-Level

Hi, I'm an A-level student in year 12 and I have been getting some really low grades in geography all year (C and D) and my exams are v soon, does anyone have any tips how I can improve my essay writing and time management?
Original post by purple_1710
Hi, I'm an A-level student in year 12 and I have been getting some really low grades in geography all year (C and D) and my exams are v soon, does anyone have any tips how I can improve my essay writing and time management?

Okay so, what exam board do you do and how long are the essay questions? Let me know and I'll help you as I did go from an initial C student to having achieved an A in a recent mock exam.
I'm doing Edexcel and so far we're doing assess (12 marks) and evaluate (20 marks) questions
I'm doing Edexcel and so far we're doing assess (12 marks) and evaluate (20 marks) questions

Samee. Let me help you.
105 marks and you have approximately 135 minutes.
You will have 2 12 markers, 2 20 markers and the rest is a series of 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 markers.

How I do it in the exam is:

1 markers, no more than 30 seconds essentially - almost negligible.

4 markers, 4 minutes or less

6 markers, around 6-8 minutes but I don't dwell as I do those last.

8 markers, 10 minutes maximum

12 markers, 15 minutes

20 markers, 25 minutes - no more no less.

12 markers it's around 3-4 points/paragraphs and you have to constantly assess because that's where you get your AO3 marks which are 9 out of the 12 marks you got.
I would follow PEE(C)L, point, explain, evidence/casestudy, link back to the question by assessing.

20 markers are the same but they have 5-6 points/paragraphs and the AO3 marks are 15 out of the 20.

Constantly assess/evaluate using these words:

Most/least significant

Manageable/unmanageable

Sustainable/Unsustainable

Most/least important, etc

Always use case studies, here are the ones I use:

Tectonics - Haiti + Christchurch OR Japan

Coasts/Glaciers - please specify which you do

Globalisation - Tanzania+Zambia + Tesco / Disney

Regeneration/Diverse places - please specify

Superpowers - There's really none here, it's more application knowledge can use USA + Soviet Union or Russia + Ukraine

Water - Sahel + Australia

Carbon - UK + Norway maybe OR Russia-Ukraine

HHR or Migration - please specify

for the second topic, I do coasts but I mean its really difficult to find proper case studies as in my notes we've only briefly mentioned some so I'll probably need to do some research for that
For regeneration I've got my case studies
and migration/HHR haven't covered yet
but honestly thank you so much this is really helpful like there's loads of that information I didn't really know so thxxx
(edited 1 year ago)
for the second topic, I do coasts but I mean its really difficult to find proper case studies as in my notes we've only briefly mentioned some so I'll probably need to do some research for that
For regeneration I've got my case studies
and migration/HHR haven't covered yet
but honestly thank you so much this is really helpful like there's loads of that information I didn't really know so thxxx

Coasts - Holderness Coast, Bangladesh and you can even mention any North Eastern UK coastline (low energy coastline) and Cornwall (high energy coastline)

Regeneration - San Francisco, Rust Belt, Cornwall.

Let me know if you need any HHR case studies if you end up doing that.

No worries - feel free to tag me if you need any geography help. :smile:

Edit: even if it’s just understanding a concept
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JA03
Coasts - Holderness Coast, Bangladesh and you can even mention any North Eastern UK coastline (low energy coastline) and Cornwall (high energy coastline)

thank you , you helped me too and i’m a second year student doing AQA lol
Original post by yaseen15x
thank you , you helped me too and i’m a second year student doing AQA lol

No worries! Like I said to the person above, tag me if you need anything geography-related. :smile:
hey how do u compile ur regeneration case studies is it on a word doc or something. if so is it possible for u to share it with me ? i have my mock next week and i still dont havev all my case study stuff together :
Original post by mega_mett44
hey how do u compile ur regeneration case studies is it on a word doc or something. if so is it possible for u to share it with me ? i have my mock next week and i still dont havev all my case study stuff together :

For regeneration, you should have a case study on 2 local places; it’s different for everyone.

I don’t make word docs on my case studies - because I’m lazy -, I make my revision material and apply the case study to the theory.
Original post by JA03
For regeneration, you should have a case study on 2 local places; it’s different for everyone.

I don’t make word docs on my case studies - because I’m lazy -, I make my revision material and apply the case study to the theory.

oh okay thanks - what revision methods work for you to understand and memorise the content. I still haven't found something that works for me.
Original post by mega_mett44
oh okay thanks - what revision methods work for you to understand and memorise the content. I still haven't found something that works for me.

Personally, mind maps work for me - in terms of geography, I’m a visual/colour learner so doing mind maps and adding diagrams and the case studies in colour work for me.

Flashcards work too but personally, I gave up on them last year.
hey,
I just had another question, I'm going to start practicing past papers but how exactly do you evaluate or assess the importance of a factor? I looked over my previous papers and that's where I lose marks, the teacher says I don't evaluate/assess. I understand you have to use evaluative vocabulary but I have difficulty trying to actually evaluate or assess something, any tips?
Original post by JA03

hey,
I just had another question, I'm going to start practicing past papers but how exactly do you evaluate or assess the importance of a factor? I looked over my previous papers and that's where I lose marks, the teacher says I don't evaluate/assess. I understand you have to use evaluative vocabulary but I have difficulty trying to actually evaluate or assess something, any tips?

When you evaluate/assess you say if it’s significant or not and why (you can say ‘this is the most important factor because or this is the least important factor because). Assess words include:
Most/least important/significant
Manageable/Unmanageable (coasts + carbon/water mainly)
Sustainable/Unsustainable
However if it is ‘evaluate the statement’, you can say if you agree or disagree (to what extent).
hey,

Also. Remember in 20 markers, you get 15 AO3 marks which are for assessing/evaluating. 9 AO3 marks in 12 markers. So if you’re going to run out of time, write a conclusion!! Conclusions usually have the most assess/evaluation points as you’re tying the whole thing up.
ok I'll try to do that thank you again :smile:
ok I'll try to do that thank you again :smile:

No worries, that’s why I’m here. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending