The Student Room Group

Geography or English literature A-level?

Desperately need help to decide my third A-level. Doing German and history and dead sure about them but can't pick between Geography or English literature. I don't know what I want to do when I'm older yet but have no interest in English related careers whereas I like the sound of Geography careers a lot more as am interested in sustainability and urban/transport planning. However I am quite analytically minded and am likely going to do languages and history at uni because they are my favourite subjects. Will do an EPQ in the subject I drop. Don't know what to do though as you can do a geography degree w/o geography but not do English without English. But I am looking to apply for oxbridge and have virtually no chance of making a competitive application to a course I don't have an A-level in. I have spoken to both English teachers and they are keen for me to stay but I just don't know how useful it is in terms of progression. I want to keep as many options open as possible. Sorry if this is hard to understand, I'm really confused myself.
Hi there,

I have to say, my immediate thoughts after reading this is that you should go for the geography a-level. It is easier to excel in a subject that you love, rather than thinking about what the subjects might look like in combination, consider what it is you will gain both in terms of subject knowledge and enjoyability in the subject. Both German and history will still offer you a chance to be analytical and work on essay skills.

It also seems that you have your heart set on studying German or history, so maybe picking the subject that you honestly enjoy more would be the best choice.

Follow your gut instinct!
Original post by gogs13
Desperately need help to decide my third A-level. Doing German and history and dead sure about them but can't pick between Geography or English literature. I don't know what I want to do when I'm older yet but have no interest in English related careers whereas I like the sound of Geography careers a lot more as am interested in sustainability and urban/transport planning. However I am quite analytically minded and am likely going to do languages and history at uni because they are my favourite subjects. Will do an EPQ in the subject I drop. Don't know what to do though as you can do a geography degree w/o geography but not do English without English. But I am looking to apply for oxbridge and have virtually no chance of making a competitive application to a course I don't have an A-level in. I have spoken to both English teachers and they are keen for me to stay but I just don't know how useful it is in terms of progression. I want to keep as many options open as possible. Sorry if this is hard to understand, I'm really confused myself.

I think you really need to evolve past the idea of certain A-levels corresponding to certain careers because that's really not how it works. Even at degree level your degree subject rarely correlates with a particular career sector, and most graduates do something entirely unrelated to what they have studied.

Also the "geography careers" you note don't actually require a degree requiring A-level Geography (you can go into sustainability work from a variety of angles some of which will accept any degree, and planning is a professional field which requires a specific degree which itself normally has no specific requirements.

Additionally I'd note that while English literature is required to do an English lit degree, as that doesn't seem to be your aim that's neither here nor there. A-level Geography is only sometimes required for a geography degree (it's quite 50-50 up to and including Oxbridge). Both often tend to be somewhat under-subscribed subjects...

So I'd focus on the actual content of the A-level and how you feel about that now, not how you think it will be in 10-20 years time. I would however note if your aim is doing languages at Oxbridge in any capacity, both, but especially Oxford, have very literature heavy courses. So the literary analysis skills you gain from A-level English lit might be particularly useful even in that different degree subject.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
I think you really need to evolve past the idea of certain A-levels corresponding to certain careers because that's really not how it works. Even at degree level your degree subject rarely correlates with a particular career sector, and most graduates do something entirely unrelated to what they have studied.

Also the "geography careers" you note don't actually require a degree requiring A-level Geography (you can go into sustainability work from a variety of angles some of which will accept any degree, and planning is a professional field which requires a specific degree which itself normally has no specific requirements.

Additionally I'd note that while English literature is required to do an English lit degree, as that doesn't seem to be your aim that's neither here nor there. A-level Geography is only sometimes required for a geography degree (it's quite 50-50 up to and including Oxbridge). Both often tend to be somewhat under-subscribed subjects...

So I'd focus on the actual content of the A-level and how you feel about that now, not how you think it will be in 10-20 years time. I would however note if your aim is doing languages at Oxbridge in any capacity, both, but especially Oxford, have very literature heavy courses. So the literary analysis skills you gain from A-level English lit might be particularly useful even in that different degree subject.

Thank you for the response! A lot of help <3
Reply 4
Original post by CCCU -Rep
Hi there,

I have to say, my immediate thoughts after reading this is that you should go for the geography a-level. It is easier to excel in a subject that you love, rather than thinking about what the subjects might look like in combination, consider what it is you will gain both in terms of subject knowledge and enjoyability in the subject. Both German and history will still offer you a chance to be analytical and work on essay skills.

It also seems that you have your heart set on studying German or history, so maybe picking the subject that you honestly enjoy more would be the best choice.

Follow your gut instinct!

Thank you for the advice !

Quick Reply

Latest