The Student Room Group

Sqa exam enquiry (urgent)

I took AH Maths this year but my school didn't sign me up for some reason. I wasn't advised to do it but I can actually pass the exam. Can someone advise me if there is still time to ask my school to sign me up? How does it work? Can the school still sign me up for the exam in May 2023 or am I too late. Please someone help I don't know if there was a deadline.
Also the exam is clashing with my Higher Maths. Can I be allowed to do the exam later?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amhamster
I took AH Maths this year but my school didn't sign me up for some reason. I wasn't advised to do it but I can actually pass the exam. Can someone advise me if there is still time to ask my school to sign me up? How does it work? Can the school still sign me up for the exam in May 2023 or am I too late. Please someone help I don't know if there was a deadline.
Also the exam is clashing with my Higher Maths. Can I be allowed to do the exam later?

Speaking to your school in this instance would be the best approach to handling this issue.

On your last question: as far as I'm aware there is no provision by SQA to sit an exam at any other time than the timetabled slot as this is followed across all of Scotland.
Reply 2

Definitely speak to the school, guidance and the department. Your parents/guardians can be a powerful voice in getting issues resolved too.
as for the SQA, they do have their deadlines and I doubt you can just take the exam at another time. Part of the security is in having everyone sit the exam at the same time, and they would have to make you a new one, not something they would do!
good luck 🤞
Reply 3
Original post by Joseph McMahon
Speaking to your school in this instance would be the best approach to handling this issue.

On your last question: as far as I'm aware there is no provision by SQA to sit an exam at any other time than the timetabled slot as this is followed across all of Scotland.

but there must be some provision? In case 2 exams are clashing, I could just be put in another room with an invigilator and give my Higher then Advanced Higher while staying under supervision. I really worked hard all year and self-studied the course since I didn't even have space in my timetable, so it would be disheartening if I couldn't give the exam. Thanks for the advice btw.
Reply 4
Original post by Shera23
Definitely speak to the school, guidance and the department. Your parents/guardians can be a powerful voice in getting issues resolved too.
as for the SQA, they do have their deadlines and I doubt you can just take the exam at another time. Part of the security is in having everyone sit the exam at the same time, and they would have to make you a new one, not something they would do!
good luck 🤞

I think something like this happened last year. I was doing Nat 5 business but had to change schools towards the end of the session. My new school doesn't offer Nat 5 business but were able to get me an exam and invigilator, and put me in a separate room. I was thinking something like that can be done so I can give the exam straight after my Higher? I submitted my phone on the morning of the exam and wouldn't be in contact with any of my mates so this would be a solution right? I'm thinking I could ask the school to do this.
but there must be some provision? In case 2 exams are clashing, I could just be put in another room with an invigilator and give my Higher then Advanced Higher while staying under supervision. I really worked hard all year and self-studied the course since I didn't even have space in my timetable, so it would be disheartening if I couldn't give the exam. Thanks for the advice btw.

Apologies: on first reading, I did not see that you were also doing Higher Maths.

I am confused as to how you have done both Higher and Advanced at the same time. Have you been self-teaching yourself Advanced Higher?

You really do need to discuss this with your school and parents.

On your other comment about doing National 5 Business: surely you would have completed this at the official time the exam was being held? As you say, you were already taking it so I imagine there would not have been a clash with other exams.

Regardless: I do not feel there is much advice you can receive from TSR. The school and SQA need to be who ultimately deal with this with you.
Reply 6
Apologies: on first reading, I did not see that you were also doing Higher Maths.

I am confused as to how you have done both Higher and Advanced at the same time. Have you been self-teaching yourself Advanced Higher?

You really do need to discuss this with your school and parents.

On your other comment about doing National 5 Business: surely you would have completed this at the official time the exam was being held? As you say, you were already taking it so I imagine there would not have been a clash with other exams.

Regardless: I do not feel there is much advice you can receive from TSR. The school and SQA need to be who ultimately deal with this with you.

Yes, sorry didn't mention it in the post but I did both Higher and AH. I self-taught myself Advanced Higher as I'm in S5, but I did go to the AH class once a week to catch up and take notes from the teacher. I did the course in my own time at home.
Yeah, the Business exam was at the same time as official but I was seeing there could be a separate invigilator specially coming down only for me, so this could be done for maths too perhaps.
I was just trying to see if anyone else on here might have faced a similar issue with exam clashes or exceptions. I will speak to guidance tomorrow to see if there is any way I can appear for the AH paper.
Yes, sorry didn't mention it in the post but I did both Higher and AH. I self-taught myself Advanced Higher as I'm in S5, but I did go to the AH class once a week to catch up and take notes from the teacher. I did the course in my own time at home.
Yeah, the Business exam was at the same time as official but I was seeing there could be a separate invigilator specially coming down only for me, so this could be done for maths too perhaps.
I was just trying to see if anyone else on here might have faced a similar issue with exam clashes or exceptions. I will speak to guidance tomorrow to see if there is any way I can appear for the AH paper.

Make sure to put a reply up once you've reached some sort of outcome from your discussion with the school so other people can have an idea of what may happen in this situation.
Reply 8
Make sure to put a reply up once you've reached some sort of outcome from your discussion with the school so other people can have an idea of what may happen in this situation.

of course, I'll make sure to tell everyone what happens, I am going in to speak with the teacher in the morning. I'm sure there has to be a way, there are so many exams in a day surely people get clashes.
Reply 9
UPDATE IN THIS SITUATION
I've spoken to my school. Thankfully, my guidance teacher understood my situation and went to speak to the school head and maths teacher.
She has said it will be arranged by the school. However, I will be doing my Higher exam first and then I will be put in a separate room with an invigilator from SQA, and my phone will be taken for the day and I'll have a supervised lunch between my exams. I also think I won't be communicating with any of my mates till I'm done with my exams. This is very fair though, and I think is a very good solution. I'll be staying till 4 or 5 pm, but at least i get to do my favourite subject.
Maths is your favourite subject?!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Original post by hogwarts master
Maths is your favourite subject?!

Yeah😅. It does shock people but its just the way I am, math nerd over here.
Yeah😅. It does shock people but its just the way I am, math nerd over here.

I presume you want to do something maths related at Uni?
Reply 13
Original post by hogwarts master
I presume you want to do something maths related at Uni?

Not sure, I'll be going into Accountancy as of now but hope to maybe do a math degree from Oxford if I get the time later in life.
Also, how are able to sit both levels?

I'm in S4, and i'm doing 2 highers early (admin and english), but when I asked to do national 5 as well, in case I don't pass higher, they said that they could only put me down for one exam, either the higher or the national 5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending