The Student Room Group

Help I’ve used a frixion pen on my sqa exam

I’ve used an erasable frixion pen on my exam and I’m really not sure if it counts as a gel pen and I’m only just realising it might be a bad thing now?

Edit: For anyone else going through this I contacted the sqa and they’ve said there won’t be any issues and to just use a biro in future ❤️
(edited 11 months ago)
Yes. Friction pens aren't allowed to be used either as they can be rubbed out relatively easily.
Reply 2
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Yes. Friction pens aren't allowed to be used either as they can be rubbed out relatively easily.

What will happen to my exams then?
Reply 3
Original post by Tryingmybest:)
What will happen to my exams then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsZiTNs_Szs - This video explains perfectly. The ink will likely erase when your exam is scanned into the photocopier, because the physical exam papers are scanned onto a computer and marked by examiners online. The examiner might notice the faint text and flag your paper for a manual mark, but that's requiring a lot of good faith. To make the ink re-appear you need to put the exam paper in the freezer.
Reply 4
Original post by Ðeggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsZiTNs_Szs - This video explains perfectly. The ink will likely erase when your exam is scanned into the photocopier, because the physical exam papers are scanned onto a computer and marked by examiners online. The examiner might notice the faint text and flag your paper for a manual mark, but that's requiring a lot of good faith. To make the ink re-appear you need to put the exam paper in the freezer.

What should I do now?
Reply 5
Original post by Ðeggs

What should I do now?

What should I do now?

[quote=Tryingmybest[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];98374006]I’ve used an erasable frixion pen on my exam and I’m really not sure if it counts as a gel pen and I’m only just realising it might be a bad thing now?
Also the papers that I have sat only said to use blue or black ink so how was I meant to know? My friends sister also used an erasable pen for hers last year and nothing happened to her?
(edited 11 months ago)
I’ve used an erasable frixion pen on my exam and I’m really not sure if it counts as a gel pen and I’m only just realising it might be a bad thing now?

Edit: For anyone else going through this I contacted the sqa and they’ve said there won’t be any issues and to just use a biro in future ❤️

Hi, I've just done the exact same thing. I'm just wondering how did you get in contact with the SQA. did they say your paper would not be scanned? or that the pen won't disappear completely in the scanner?? I'm really scared my work will rub out and I'm confused because so many people used them and they get their normal grades. Is there a big chance the heat of the scanner will really make our work disappear? I'm definitely using biro from now on.
Reply 7
Original post by Zellt
Hi, I've just done the exact same thing. I'm just wondering how did you get in contact with the SQA. did they say your paper would not be scanned? or that the pen won't disappear completely in the scanner?? I'm really scared my work will rub out and I'm confused because so many people used them and they get their normal grades. Is there a big chance the heat of the scanner will really make our work disappear? I'm definitely using biro from now on.

Erasable pens are called erasable because the stuff you write with them is easy to erase. The ink does not bind well to the papers fibres. So it is possible that some of what you write could be lost in the process of transporting or scanning your work. It isn't likely and even if it did happen it is inconceivable that your whole paper would be affected but it could lead to some unreadable parts of answers that cannot be marked and so a loss of marks. If this happened the candidate would never know unless they asked to see their marked paper. If it happens, examiners in England won't consider any appeal for special consideration, I can only guess SQA would be the same..
Original post by gdunne42
Erasable pens are called erasable because the stuff you write with them is easy to erase. The ink does not bind well to the papers fibres. So it is possible that some of what you write could be lost in the process of transporting or scanning your work. It isn't likely and even if it did happen it is inconceivable that your whole paper would be affected but it could lead to some unreadable parts of answers that cannot be marked and so a loss of marks. If this happened the candidate would never know unless they asked to see their marked paper. If it happens, examiners in England won't consider any appeal for special consideration, I can only guess SQA would be the same..

Would it be a good idea to contact the sqa about my papers? Do all the papers get scanned?
Reply 9
Original post by Zellt
Would it be a good idea to contact the sqa about my papers? Do all the papers get scanned?

It would be a waste of time contacting SQA. They will do their best to mark your papers, they can either read them or there's a very small chance they can't read some of it.
Original post by gdunne42
It would be a waste of time contacting SQA. They will do their best to mark your papers, they can either read them or there's a very small chance they can't read some of it.

Okay thanks for your help. Let's hope they can
Original post by Zellt

If you search contact the sqa it’ll give you their contact and I’m not sure about specifics they just said it’d be fine and to use biro instead x
Reply 12
Surely your scholls have told you many times what pens are allowed? There's also been a number of threads on this.
Original post by Muttley79
Surely your scholls have told you many times what pens are allowed? There's also been a number of threads on this.

Never once have I been told anything about the pen type only that it had to be blue or black ink and I didn’t read any of the threads regarding this because as I have previously stated I didn’t know there was an issue with it
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79

No bc i thought gel pens were the glittery colourful ones i didnt know they could be normal black and blue ink😭

Quick Reply

Latest