The Student Room Group

Help. Computer science or marketing and business/management

I'm interested in both computer science bsc and marketing and business / management bsc . I ve been looking into both courses so the modules , jobs, salary employment rate. I know I can do a masters in either not sure which is more worth it
I like being creative ideally work in an office environment, I love business but I've been interested in computer science I know its hard degree and employers have been laying people off.

Originally I looked into computer science as a masters as I wanted to know if there was a course which could teach me how to develop an app and a website as I would love to open my own business and then I thought I'd try to learn to code at a basic level at home which got me more into the subject my main worry is the math side I know there are some uni which only want a grade C but others want an A and mines at B .

I plan on going uni in 2024 just need some advice
Original post by Rose_99
I'm interested in both computer science bsc and marketing and business / management bsc . I ve been looking into both courses so the modules , jobs, salary employment rate. I know I can do a masters in either not sure which is more worth it
I like being creative ideally work in an office environment, I love business but I've been interested in computer science I know its hard degree and employers have been laying people off.

Originally I looked into computer science as a masters as I wanted to know if there was a course which could teach me how to develop an app and a website as I would love to open my own business and then I thought I'd try to learn to code at a basic level at home which got me more into the subject my main worry is the math side I know there are some uni which only want a grade C but others want an A and mines at B .

I plan on going uni in 2024 just need some advice

I am not exactly a fan of business degrees, so computer science is the better choice in my opinion. At the very least, you would be able to go into more jobs and fields than you would with a business degree alone. The only time you would consider a business degree is if you want to do specific master's and postgrad courses that are a bit pickier with what undergrad you did.

Have you looked into why employers are laying off people, what type of people, etc? If they are mostly tech people and there is a downward trend in tech employment, then you would need to be concerned. If they are laying off people left right and centre because of the recession, then that's different.

Technically you don't need a degree to learn how to develop apps and websites, but it's up to you if you want the degree.
As a matter of fact, getting a degree in computer science or business doesn't make you exactly that much more employable in tech or office environments, where they prefer people with experience over qualifications. If anything, professional qualifications tend to be more relevant to them e.g.

CIM, IDM, etc. for marketing

CIMA, ACCA, ACA, etc. for management accounting

CompTIA, CISCO, etc. for tech

If you want to work in web and app development, then I recommend building up a portfolio of high quality work that you can showcase to prospective employers.

Creativity and office environments rarely mix in my opinion and experience. The more creative side of things occur in the marketing department. The IT department is more about troubleshooting, and not so much about product development unless you work in a tech startup.

In terms of maths, maths only really comes into computer science on the data side of things (as far as I know). To improve on your A Level maths, you generally need to do a lot of practice questions and targeting your weakest areas. I don't know how much time you have left, but I recommend getting a move on if your exams are in this coming June.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending