The Student Room Group

Exams soon. no teacher.

i’m in a big dilemma. i do a level biology and i haven’t had a teacher actually teaching me the content since dec-jan. the side of the course this teacher teaches we have been forced to teach it ourselves as the work set every lesson has just been make notes from the textbook and do some handouts. my AS exam is in a months time and i’m really stressed out because how am i supposed to revise when i haven’t even learnt. has anyone got any tips for self teaching? all these hours in the classroom have just been wasted by the same repetitive cover work that has just left me very clueless about the content as a whole. should i complain to the school? would they even do anything? i just know that if i fail these exams and don’t make it to y13 all the blame with go to me and they wouldn’t even factor in the lack of an actual teacher for 5 months.
Original post by shanice m
i’m in a big dilemma. i do a level biology and i haven’t had a teacher actually teaching me the content since dec-jan. the side of the course this teacher teaches we have been forced to teach it ourselves as the work set every lesson has just been make notes from the textbook and do some handouts. my AS exam is in a months time and i’m really stressed out because how am i supposed to revise when i haven’t even learnt. has anyone got any tips for self teaching? all these hours in the classroom have just been wasted by the same repetitive cover work that has just left me very clueless about the content as a whole. should i complain to the school? would they even do anything? i just know that if i fail these exams and don’t make it to y13 all the blame with go to me and they wouldn’t even factor in the lack of an actual teacher for 5 months.

This exact same thing happened to me last year but for physics...
You should tell your HoY about this and make sure you're persistent with it. They HAVE TO do something about it and if not, get your parents involved.
That probably won't do enough alone though so start learning the content yourself; save my exams is actually really good when you want to understand the topics. What I did last year for bio was make A3 sheets with notes and necessary diagrams for each chapter - it's an easy way to revise stuff as it's all in one place. Make sure you make notes based on your spec and also do some past paper questions closer to the exam so you can practice the exam techniques.
Also don't think about all the time you've wasted because that will just make it harder to stay motivated... you still have time if you revise effectively.
Reply 2
Original post by shanice m

Hi there,

I am in Y12 as well, and this is the same case with my Chemistry teacher. I have had to miss a lot of lessons due to personal reasons and my teacher refuses to go back over the content I've missed. However for my other subjects, I was able to get catch up lessons. She is very stubborn and I almost dropped Chemistry due to her selfishness. However, since Jan I have been using resources online to support my learning. I know the position you are in and I understand how frustrating it is. But we have unlimited resources on the internet, and that should be enough to get you a top grade in Biology. I do Edexcel B for Bio and there isn't much on the internet if I'm being totally honest. If you have the textbook and specification then you can get the grades you want. At the end of the day, it is all about determination and passion. How strong will you fight to get the grade you want? Consistently push yourself to get through it and you'll be shocked at the results. For resources, I'd recommend SaveMyExams and Revision World. Do past paper questions. Memorise the content with flashcards. Get your friends to test you during your free periods/breaks. Biology is a content heavy subject so memorisation is crucial. I know there are some people out there who don't like Biology and find it utterly boring and useless. If you feel the same way, push yourself to enjoy and like the subject. Find the inner beauty within it. I used to hate Chemistry because of my teacher and she made it a living hell for me. However, I spent an entire day studying and going through each topic in my textbook. After analysing the book, it honestly changed my biased opinion on Chemistry. Don't let one view fool you with your subjects. Learn to enjoy them. I know it sounds like I'm ranting the obvious, but sometimes looking at your subjects from another perspective can help A LOT. Anyways, hope that helped. Let me know if that helped you or not (I hope it did)

Quick Reply

Latest