The Student Room Group

Extra time

Hi, I want to ask about extra time for GCSE exams. I am about to get diagnosed with anxiety because I believe I have it (as well as everyone around me), and I tend to never be able to finish on time in my exams (in my English language mock, I missed out on a whole 8 mark question because I had a panic attack towards the end), it is a really big deal for me because I am normally a grade 7-9 student, and don't want to perform badly at my GCSEs because of how scared and anxious I know I'll be. My teacher had a similar experience at her GCSEs and was able to get a medical note, and advised me to do so. During exams, (especially essay-based ones), my hands shake and get cold and sweaty, my hands and my back ache, I start to lose concentration and I don't feel at ease. So my question is, should I ask for extra time, like is it worth it, and would it be written in my report that I did get extra time or would that affect anything in the grading process or in the future? Basically, would there be evidence afterwards that I got extra time or will it just happen and no one will know about it?
Reply 1
not sure if it'll be recorded that you had extra time, but it's definitely worth asking for if you think it's something that will help you!
Reply 2
Yeah, I think I should try and ask. Thanks!

Original post by mickeyyyy
not sure if it'll be recorded that you had extra time, but it's definitely worth asking for if you think it's something that will help you!
Reply 3
Original post by SalmaKadous
Hi, I want to ask about extra time for GCSE exams. I am about to get diagnosed with anxiety because I believe I have it (as well as everyone around me), and I tend to never be able to finish on time in my exams (in my English language mock, I missed out on a whole 8 mark question because I had a panic attack towards the end), it is a really big deal for me because I am normally a grade 7-9 student, and don't want to perform badly at my GCSEs because of how scared and anxious I know I'll be. My teacher had a similar experience at her GCSEs and was able to get a medical note, and advised me to do so. During exams, (especially essay-based ones), my hands shake and get cold and sweaty, my hands and my back ache, I start to lose concentration and I don't feel at ease. So my question is, should I ask for extra time, like is it worth it, and would it be written in my report that I did get extra time or would that affect anything in the grading process or in the future? Basically, would there be evidence afterwards that I got extra time or will it just happen and no one will know about it?

There is no mention of any access arrangements made for candidates that need them on their exam papers, no difference to how papers are marked and graded, no mention of it on exam certificates.

A more likely arrangement from the issues you have described would be to allow you to take a rest break if you need one. This could be at your desk or outside the exam room if you want to (supervised of course). Sometimes knowing that you are in control and have that option if you need it helps manage the anxiety issues. Talk to a senior teacher, your school SENCO or your exams officer - whoever you know and feel you can be open with. These things can't be agreed and arranged last minute so do it as soon as you get back to school.
Reply 4
Yeah, I'll try and talk to my head teacher about it next Tuesday. Thank you.

Original post by gdunne42
There is no mention of any access arrangements made for candidates that need them on their exam papers, no difference to how papers are marked and graded, no mention of it on exam certificates.

A more likely arrangement from the issues you have described would be to allow you to take a rest break if you need one. This could be at your desk or outside the exam room if you want to (supervised of course). Sometimes knowing that you are in control and have that option if you need it helps manage the anxiety issues. Talk to a senior teacher, your school SENCO or your exams officer - whoever you know and feel you can be open with. These things can't be agreed and arranged last minute so do it as soon as you get back to school.

Quick Reply

Latest