The Student Room Group

Why is it that teachers thought I was bright and had potential but I didn't see it

And neither did my family?
Your teachers will have had hundreds of students over the years with at least some basic idea of the directions they went in. You only know yourself, likewise your family (+/- siblings, which often aren't always the best comparison point anyway). So teachers will have more data to draw on when coming to that conclusion than either you or your family.
This is one of those questions strangers obviously cannot answer. We don't know why other people have done things.
Original post by artful_lounger
Your teachers will have had hundreds of students over the years with at least some basic idea of the directions they went in. You only know yourself, likewise your family (+/- siblings, which often aren't always the best comparison point anyway). So teachers will have more data to draw on when coming to that conclusion than either you or your family.

I guessed my way through and my teacher thought I was bright for guessing, until around February when I couldn't guess in his class anymore due to rushing written work and not allowing myself to think about it. My teacher thought I knew the answer, I didn't, I guessed.
Original post by artful_lounger

So if I know myself better than anyone, why is it that teachers won't think any less of me for saying I don't think I can do it and they keep saying yes you can
Original post by Anony345533
So if I know myself better than anyone, why is it that teachers won't think any less of me for saying I don't think I can do it and they keep saying yes you can

What makes you think you know yourself better than anyone? Inevitably a large part of your life you can't know better than anyone because you don't know it yourself - namely how other people actually encounter and experience you as part of their own lives. You can make (reasoned) assumptions about that but you will never be able to experience yourself outside of the lens of your own mind - and not infrequently how we perceive ourselves (and even how we perceive others to perceive ourselves) doesn't necessarily match up to how others perceive us!

Original post by Anony345533
I guessed my way through and my teacher thought I was bright for guessing, until around February when I couldn't guess in his class anymore due to rushing written work and not allowing myself to think about it. My teacher thought I knew the answer, I didn't, I guessed.

If you were truly choosing options at random it would've become evident and you would have at best an average performance over time, statistically speaking. More likely you were making educated guesses based on what you have learned - even if you didn't exactly recall it at the time - and were more often than not, on the right lines.

Overall I'm less pessimistic about this than you are I think, and I think you're being overly self-critical. Some level of self-criticality is very important but you should contextualise it with reference to reality and how other people experience you and what you do as well. In this case, the simplest answer seems to be that you know things a little better than you thought, your teacher recognizes that, but perhaps things have gotten a bit harder lately and you haven't adjusted your habits to keep up with that. :smile:
I don't think these threads are healthy for you to keep making.

You seem fixated on the past which is understandable to a point especially if there is some trauma there. However what's done is done. If you are struggling to move on it would be worth seeing if you can be referred for counselling or therapy.

It is also an unfortunate fact that there are plenty of bright and 'gifted/talented' kids in a year group. It is expected of them (at least it was in my school) that all of them will achieve great things and go on to super competitive and amazing jobs.

The reality is not the case for a lot of those people. There is no guarantee that your life would be substantially different had you believed them about your talents. There is a glut of graduates and a lot of people with similar skills and qualifications looking for the same jobs.

Unfortunately (and I dont say this to be mean) you seem to lack your own initiative which won't help with things like education or jobs. Nobody is going to find you a job you enjoy, it's down to you to do that.

Teachers, Medical professionals and job coaches in a job centre can only advise and encourage. It's up to yourself to accept the help and support offered to make yourself happier within the confines of external factors out of your control (poverty, health issues, discrimination etc).

Quick Reply

Latest