The Student Room Group

before uni question

my sister is a first year nursing student at uni and she said to me i need to get blackout drunk at least once before i go (IM 18) BUT because of my medication and several other disorders, i cant really drink. ofc i know that drinking is a major part of uni culture, but do i really need to be experienced beforehand?
I'm sure your sister means it in a nice way and might want you to do so in a relatively 'safe' environment but honestly don't. Drinking culture may be a big thing but you need to stick to what YOU want to do, not feel forced into doing so and people should respect that. It really isn't worth risking any side effects from mixing with medication
Original post by beefreya
my sister is a first year nursing student at uni and she said to me i need to get blackout drunk at least once before i go (IM 18) BUT because of my medication and several other disorders, i cant really drink. ofc i know that drinking is a major part of uni culture, but do i really need to be experienced beforehand?

Hello @beefreya
Getting drunk and drinking is not a pre-requisite for Uni/ the uni experience. Whilst many do enjoy drinking as part of the social side of uni it isn't the only choice and it isn't for everyone.
From my personal experience drinking was not and is not a big part. Going to uni at 17 having not had alcohol before and then once I turned 18 the pandemic hit, I never properly got the 'uni drinking experience' and never took a liking to drinks. That does not mean that I missed out on uni and the experience and I was able to be very active socially. Being involved in societies, going to classes and working I was able to have a social network. Also there was nothing to say I wasn't able to still go out even though I didn't drink. I was still able to have a good time.
Main thing is do what is safe for you and what you are comfortable with. Do not feel pressured in any way (it can be hard and may take a lot of strength sometimes). As has been mentioned your sister may just be thinking for you, but she doesn't make your choices, you do. Stay safe and hope you enjoy your time at uni !
Catherine - Strathclyde University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending