The Student Room Group

I made big mistakes choosing A-level art, how do unis feel about A*A*B?

I have always wanted to do psychology at uni, I currently do A level psychology and sociology which I have always gotten high grades in and am confident I can get A*s in these, but A-level art I am not sure as it is very veryy hard to get high grades in, so I settled on a B to aim for. Psychology is competitive at uni and the good ones all want A*AA, but if I have a B and two A* will they still reject me because I didn't get an A in art? I feel like I have made a very big mistake and I wish I took another science instead of art.
Original post by uhidontknow
I have always wanted to do psychology at uni, I currently do A level psychology and sociology which I have always gotten high grades in and am confident I can get A*s in these, but A-level art I am not sure as it is very veryy hard to get high grades in, so I settled on a B to aim for. Psychology is competitive at uni and the good ones all want A*AA, but if I have a B and two A* will they still reject me because I didn't get an A in art? I feel like I have made a very big mistake and I wish I took another science instead of art.

I think it depends on who you mean by 'they'. Did you have a course or Uni in mind? Otherwise I think there are plenty of places that would accept A*A*B for a Pyschology degree. Here are course details, in no particular order:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=psychology&c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by uhidontknow

It is impossible to say. Universities will offer you the standard grades but may accept you with a B on results day. It will depend on the numbers meeting their offers and whether they will have spaces afterwards. The more competitive the university the less likely you will get in on results day but nobody can tell until then.
Just remember that Psychology at degree level is a science - and most courses will require a good GCSE Maths grade, and many require more 'science' than just Psychology at A level.
Well, A*A*B doesn't meet an A*AA entry requirement, but that's not to say you won't get an offer if predicted that (although the offer will be for A*AA, and if you ended up getting A*A*B for an A*AA offer, it would be at the uni's discretion whether to accept you on results day or not - they wouldn't be required to as you would have missed your offer).

I'd note that many of those psychology courses requiring A*AA require a "core" science (e.g. biology, chemistry, physics, maths), or two sciences (from those plus often psychology). So as noted above, you may not meet the entry criteria for some courses anyway. You will need to check carefully which ones you do.
Some unis require the actual grades and not the points equivalent so even if A*A*B is equivalent in points to A*AA, you may be rejected. Call the psychology units of the universities you are keen to attend and clarify with them.
@uhidontknow

You could explore the opportunity of becoming an art therapist.

It is a bit niche, but makes use of art and psychology.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending