The Student Room Group

Fine Art at the Ruskin Oxford 2024

I’ve been trying to find others who’ve applied for fine art at the Ruskin, so I thought i’d make my own thread. What colleges has everyone applied to and how are you feeling about the application? I’m desperate to find anyone!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiiiiii! I've also applied to the Ruskin for BFA. I chose open application as I really could not decide which college I wanted to go to the most... I'm an international student though, but it's genuinely heartwarming to find someone that has applied to the same course here!
Reply 2
Original post by Bella Wan
Hiiiiii! I've also applied to the Ruskin for BFA. I chose open application as I really could not decide which college I wanted to go to the most... I'm an international student though, but it's genuinely heartwarming to find someone that has applied to the same course here!

hey! yay that’s so great to hear. I’ve applied for teddy hall but yeah I completely agree, it was so hard to choose from all the colleges. How are you feeling in terms of your portfolio/interview wise?
Reply 3
Mixed feelings about the portfolio - quite confident in regards to the range of mediums I have showcased, but I doubt the profs will actually open the URLs inserted in the images...

Interview wise, clueless :smile: But I heard that they will ask about your recent work, and maybe some art history questions as well? I'm not doing any art related A-Levels (not even art history. just BTEC Art&design 360hrs) so I don't know if my repertoire is sufficient lol.

How about you?
Reply 4
Mixed feelings about the portfolio - quite confident in regards to the range of mediums I have showcased, but I doubt the profs will actually open the URLs inserted in the images...

Interview wise, clueless :smile: But I heard that they will ask about your recent work, and maybe some art history questions as well? I'm not doing any art related A-Levels (not even art history. just BTEC Art&design 360hrs) so I don't know if my repertoire is sufficient lol.

How about you?

I’m quite similar in terms of a levels. I did maths, physics and art so the majority don’t relate. I’m doing a foundation now so fingers crossed that helps a tad.

In terms of my portfolio, I also presented a range of materials. I felt confident while sending it off, but I think the closer we get to interviews being released, i get more and more unsure.

If I’m lucky enough to get an interview, I think that’s the thing i will struggle with the most. I find it hard to talk about my work, especially if they ask quite conceptual questions. I’m going to try my best and prep a bit. The suspense is killing me though! I wish they would release the results much sooner!! D:
Reply 5
Hey guys actual current Ruskin goer here 🤯🤯 good luck with ur applications hehe
Reply 6
Original post by M.ba

thank you so much! do you mind if I ask how you’re finding the course? also how’s your college? x
Reply 7
It’s really self led so u kinda get out of it what u put in, it is a good art school but it’s also not the only good one. The small cohort, and it being part of a uni were my main reasons for applying and both those are really nice, if u want something more lively or contemporary then maybe apply somewhere in London? But there’s people here who would completely disagree with me; you really make it whatever u want it to be :smile:) college is nice, especially if you have other art students with u (I have 5 others) deffo really nice having ur meals all catered lol. As to ur applications I would say just don’t stress it, u really can’t know what the tutors are looking for, sometimes they make some really strange choices lmao. Just make stuff you love and that’s very ‘you’ and be passionate about it (but also don’t overthink that advice). Best of luck! :smile:)
Reply 8
Original post by M.ba
It’s really self led so u kinda get out of it what u put in, it is a good art school but it’s also not the only good one. The small cohort, and it being part of a uni were my main reasons for applying and both those are really nice, if u want something more lively or contemporary then maybe apply somewhere in London? But there’s people here who would completely disagree with me; you really make it whatever u want it to be :smile:) college is nice, especially if you have other art students with u (I have 5 others) deffo really nice having ur meals all catered lol. As to ur applications I would say just don’t stress it, u really can’t know what the tutors are looking for, sometimes they make some really strange choices lmao. Just make stuff you love and that’s very ‘you’ and be passionate about it (but also don’t overthink that advice). Best of luck! :smile:)

ahhhh thank you! i’m trying my best to stay positive and not overthink too much. I’m keeping an open mind as London will definitely be my plan B. Anyway I wish you the best of luck with your studies, thanks again!!
Reply 9
Original post by M.ba

Hi, i sent my application in a while ago but i've been thinking about the 'new work' you have to send in if you get an interview. How much did you do between sending in your portfolio and your interview and how much weight do you think they put on your new work within your application?
Reply 10
Big disclaimer about any advice, I’m not a tutor and idk what they look for. I did maybe like three or four pieces of varying size / effort. It’s honestly more of a talking point than anything, which is the point of the interview, they wanna the person behind the portfolio and ur passion and interest and how u articulate urself etc. so the works not that important I wouldn’t say, deffo not quantity, I’d say just do something ur interested in and u can talk about :smile:
I've also applied for BFA! i've struggled to find anyone else applying so this is fun :smile:) i'm applying for st Catz college.
Reply 12
Original post by heyysmile
I’ve been trying to find others who’ve applied for fine art at the Ruskin, so I thought i’d make my own thread. What colleges has everyone applied to and how are you feeling about the application? I’m desperate to find anyone!!

Hi, I’ve also applied for the same course! I’m doing a foundation year atm so trying lots of new things for the first time so I’m not totally confident about my portfolio (although is anyone ever?) but like the others have said I tried to show a range of techniques/materials. just anxiously waiting to here if I have an interview now. Although I think they only take 50 for interviews out of the thousands that apply so that’s really encouraging. I wasn’t aware we would have to send in more work if we got an interview but obviously I’ve still been working on stuff on my course and trying to think more conceptually and how I can talk about each piece to prepare for the miracle of getting an interview.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 13
Good luck guys, i think about 1/4 people get an interview, you guys are obvs really on it if your on student room lmao, so the odds look good! I got my email for interview the 22nd of November last year but i dont think its fixed, just roughly that time :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Beelie

Hi, I’ve also applied for the same course! I’m doing a foundation year atm so trying lots of new things for the first time so I’m not totally confident about my portfolio (although is anyone ever?) but like the others have said I tried to show a range of techniques/materials. just anxiously waiting to here if I have an interview now. Although I think they only take 50 for interviews out of the thousands that apply so that’s really encouraging. I wasn’t aware we would have to send in more work if we got an interview but obviously I’ve still been working on stuff on my course and trying to think more conceptually and how I can talk about each piece to prepare for the miracle of getting an interview.

Good luck to everyone!

Yay it’s so nice to talk to everyone! Good luck to you too!!!
Reply 15
Hi people!! I saw an applicant posting their rejection email already...(on Chinese social media 'Red'). This means the admission's rolling! My teacher said that Oxford started giving out interview invitations today. Fingers crossed & all the best to all of us!!!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 16
Hi people!! I saw an applicant posted their rejection email already...(on Chinese social media 'Red'). This means the admission's rolling! My teacher said that Oxford started giving out interview invitations today, fingers crossed & all the best to all of us!!!

I just got an email saying i’ve been invited for an interview! Good luck everyone!!!! x
Reply 17
Original post by heyysmile
I just got an email saying i’ve been invited for an interview! Good luck everyone!!!! x

omg so happy for ya!!!
Reply 18
Idk if this is too personal, but I kinda want to ask you guys what you wrote about in your UCAS personal statements?
Reply 19
Idk if this is too personal, but I kinda want to ask you guys what you wrote about in your UCAS personal statements?

i spoke a lot about my art process, specifically the materials and the way i apply paint. i also talked about my favourite artists/an essay i had written. what about you? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending