The Student Room Group

GCSE Art or Textiles?

I’m struggling to choose between art and textiles for GCSEs. I was going to take both courses but have found out that at my school you can’t take both subjects at the same time ,im not sure what the exact reason is but i’m assuming it may be to do with the amount of coursework in both courses. The textiles course has a ton of coursework though, as there is no written exam at the end. I’m quite strong in both subjects and enjoy them both a lot, and am willing to put in the time and effort for both of them. Also i’m hoping to pursue an art and design related career in the future, though i guess it doesn’t really matter what i choose as they are both pretty similar subjects, im mainly just looking for advice and your experience with the art/textiles course to give me a better idea of what they are like.

Scroll to see replies

DON'T TAKE ART. I REPEATED DON'T TAKE ART EVEN IF YOU LOVE IT DON'T TAKE ART. do textiles :smile: not even being over dramatic art is HELL
Reply 2
Original post by maisiex10x
DON'T TAKE ART. I REPEATED DON'T TAKE ART EVEN IF YOU LOVE IT DON'T TAKE ART. do textiles :smile: not even being over dramatic art is HELL

care to elaborate? not being rude, it’s just i love art and am 100% aware of all of the coursework, and am willing to put time and effort into the subject
Original post by 1082937
care to elaborate? not being rude, it’s just i love art and am 100% aware of all of the coursework, and am willing to put time and effort into the subject

That's okay! Honestly though just speak to any year 11, everyone loved art in yr 7-9 then year 11 it turns to hell, it honestly pulls down other subjects due to the amount of time it takes! I'd definitely do textiles! My friends who do both much prefer textiles x
Reply 4
thanks! i have heard art is a hellish subject and that a lot of people take it and regret it, it’s the reason why a lot of my friends who wanted to do art decided not to choose it, my mum my nan, both my art teachers and my engineering teacher said i should take it, but it might be a good idea to ask some other students at my school who know firsthand what it’s like, sorry i’m just waffling now, anyways thanks for your input! any advice is a big help xxx
Original post by 1082937
thanks! i have heard art is a hellish subject and that a lot of people take it and regret it, it’s the reason why a lot of my friends who wanted to do art decided not to choose it, my mum my nan, both my art teachers and my engineering teacher said i should take it, but it might be a good idea to ask some other students at my school who know firsthand what it’s like, sorry i’m just waffling now, anyways thanks for your input! any advice is a big help xxx

Ahh, that's fine! Yeh, honestly I'd ask round the yr 11s, they will b most accurate, unless your mum/nan can help?! Still v time consuming though! at my school everyone HATES it! You can see all the memes about art being hell all across social media sites! I'd definitely go textiles, there's still drawing involved but less hellish! What other subjects are you doing?! Geography is great!! xx
Reply 6
Hi I really enjoyed art at gcse and if your not sure the exact course you want to take later art will leave your options open. However if you feel more enthusiastic about textiles its also a great option.

MOOOODD
Original post by 1082937

My parents told me to take art too but i do food tech as well and i literally cannot live with the amount of coursework. i just came to realise im really not suited to coursework subjects, despite what i thought in year 9
Ahh, that's fine! Yeh, honestly I'd ask round the yr 11s, they will b most accurate, unless your mum/nan can help?! Still v time consuming though! at my school everyone HATES it! You can see all the memes about art being hell all across social media sites! I'd definitely go textiles, there's still drawing involved but less hellish! What other subjects are you doing?! Geography is great!! xx

i shouldve done geog instead of art :frown:
Original post by 1082937
I’m struggling to choose between art and textiles for GCSEs. I was going to take both courses but have found out that at my school you can’t take both subjects at the same time ,im not sure what the exact reason is but i’m assuming it may be to do with the amount of coursework in both courses. The textiles course has a ton of coursework though, as there is no written exam at the end. I’m quite strong in both subjects and enjoy them both a lot, and am willing to put in the time and effort for both of them. Also i’m hoping to pursue an art and design related career in the future, though i guess it doesn’t really matter what i choose as they are both pretty similar subjects, im mainly just looking for advice and your experience with the art/textiles course to give me a better idea of what they are like.

I know I'm biased because I take textiles a-level, but from what I've seen at GCSE, everyone who did art was stressed out of their minds. Textiles is great because you can do art on fabric (silk painting, embroidery, screen printing) and you still have to do drawings from first hand sources to get good grades, so if you're an artist already, then that should be a piece of cake :smile: good luck!
ay dont do art i just got my mark and i probably wont even pass so yea
Hi, I’m currently an A level student doing art, and at GCSE I got a rough average of 7 across all my subjects. I took art and product design which has a lot of links to textiles, so I would know how much course work is needed for both subjects.

The reason why people find art a bit ‘hellish’ is because they’re often forced to produce a large amount of work of something they may not enjoy. This turns art into a chore and can remove the fun aspect altogether. It really comes down to balance and what you prioritise most.

In addition, course work for all related subjects finish much earlier than the other exams, which gives you roughly a month to revise for your other subjects.

All in all, regardless of your decision, if you keep your coursework for art and textiles related to something you feel really passionate about, you won’t fell burnt out. I got by with a 9 in art and an A in product design with 7s and 8s for the rest of my subjects. Sorry if I come off as all high and mighty I hate myself as well, I’m usually very modest, but I do know how you felt when picking your GCSEs. I hope this has helped.😊
(edited 4 years ago)
I regret picking textiles. Thought it was going to be a chill lesson and was until I realised I'm so far behind 🤦🏻*♀️
If you’re doing GCSEs don’t worry about how they will affect you doing an art degree as the only thing that matters is passing a number of them. That aside, Ive just finished gcse art and whilst , I won’t lie, it was a boatload if work and caused loadss of stress in terms of handing in coursework on time and actually producing good work WHILST revising for everything else , it can be fun when you actually make good pieces or do work that you like. You won’t get absolute creative freedom until late year 11 but if you really really really really really like art it’ll be a breeze coz you’ll be more motivated to do it out of school hours and that’s what makes it easier in the long run. Likewise, if you find it hard to be inspired in any creative subject then whichever you pick , textiles or art, you’ll struggle coz it’ll take forever to produce work .
Original post by That1Nerd
Hi, I’m currently an A level student doing art, and at GCSE I got a rough average of 7 across all my subjects. I took art and product design which has a lot of links to textiles, so I would know how much course work is needed for both subjects.

The reason why people find art a bit ‘hellish’ is because they’re often forced to produce a large amount of work of something they may not enjoy. This turns art into a chore and can remove the fun aspect altogether. It really comes down to balance and what you prioritise most.

In addition, course work for all related subjects finish much earlier than the other exams, which gives you roughly a month to revise for your other subjects.

All in all, regardless of your decision, if you keep your coursework for art and textiles related to something you feel really passionate about, you won’t fell burnt out. I got by with a 9 in art and an A in product design with 7s and 8s for the rest of my subjects. Sorry if I come off as all high and mighty I hate myself as well, I’m usually very modest, but I do know how you felt when picking your GCSEs. I hope this has helped.😊

Sorry if this is unrelated but are you doing any other art subjects for a level or just art?? Asking coz have to finalise my choices soon and torn between fine art and photography
Original post by xY.mpj.Tx
Sorry if this is unrelated but are you doing any other art subjects for a level or just art?? Asking coz have to finalise my choices soon and torn between fine art and photography

I’m doing art, product design and maths for A level. I do find the course work for both art and product design very demanding, but like I said it all comes down to balance and planning.

I chose these subjects as I want to steer myself towards either an architecture course at uni or a design related course.

I would say that art and photography are quite similar, and their isn’t much point in doing both( I think this is the reason my school won’t let us do both but idk). Although it really depends on what you intend to do in the future. Good luck😉
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by That1Nerd
I’m doing art, product design and maths for A level. I chose these as I want to steer towards either an architecture course at uni or a design related course. I would say that art and photography are quite similar, and their isn’t much point in doing both( I think this is the reason my school won’t let us do both but idk). Although it really depends on what you intend to do in the future. Good luck😉

Stuck between science and art for after college so thinking of doing photography and two hard sciences as unis are picky about that. Do you know is art courses are picky about how many art a levels you do as well??
Stuck between science and art for after college so thinking of doing photography and two hard sciences as unis are picky about that. Do you know is art courses are picky about how many art a levels you do as well??

Keeping your options open is always a good option. For art courses they will most likely ask for a portfolio of work that relates to the course you want to do. This doesn’t have to be school work though, It can be thing you’ve done in your free time as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think straight Art and Design a better choice if you do want to do Art after A level. The FAD interviewers barely looked at daughter's photography work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending