The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Care leaver student experience | Blog post

Sasha has previously spent time in care and was excluded from school aged 15 with no qualifications before undertaking an Access Course. She has received additional support at Bradford and has had a positive experience. Sasha shares her story below.

Sasha-2-1-459x390 (1).jpg

My journey to studying at Bradford
I was permanently excluded from school aged 15 with no GCSE's and attended a PRU for what would have been Year 11. At the age of 16 I returned to education. I struggled massively and found myself dropping out.

I finally got the requirements needed to enrol on the Level 3 Access to Higher Education (Health and Social Care Professions) course at Bradford College.

I received offers from all the universities I applied for and I was over the moon. I accepted and chose Bradford because I researched every single module and assessment method before applying and had a great interest. I also read up lecturer profiles and found their experiences very interesting.

Did I always expect to study at uni?
I remember being 14 or 15 and I was living in a children's home at the time and I developed a strong drive to go to university. I was not too familiar with the formalities of education, but I knew A levels were needed to go to university.

Being in care was not a great place to be so I think it's nice that I can use this experience of what was one of the lowest points of my life to potentially help other students. I also found the financial support the University offer to be extremely helpful.

How I've found the experience of studying at Bradford
I have so far had a positive experience of studying at Bradford. The enrolment procedure was quick and easy and I became familiar with campus quickly.

How I've found the support for care experienced students?
Before attending uni, I was aware that Social Services would continue to support me after 21 if I stayed in Higher Education but I did not realise being a Care Leaver would be a thing at university. It is nice that it is recognised and additional support is offered. For example, last year I applied for the role of Care Experienced Student Ambassador and did not have to go through an interview process.

My advice for other care experienced students considering studying at uni
I would say do not let the thought of the length of a degree put you off. Time goes so fast. I can't believe I am in my second year already. Starting university was one of the best things I have ever done for myself and I never thought I would enjoy being a student as much as I do. Nobody can take your education away from you, it's yours for life. There is so much support and so many opportunities available to care leavers, grab it all with both hands.
This was a fantastic read, thank you for sharing :heart:
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
What a great article. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending