The Student Room Group

International Student Blog

Hello everyone, it’s Virginia 😊

I recently submitted my dissertation, signalling the completion of my three-year degree programme at CCCU! It is a bit scary, but I am proud of what I have achieved at CCCU and excited about what the future can offer me!

This blog will be a wrap-up of my time at Canterbury Christ Church University, listing the five best things I experienced during my studies.

1. C4polefitness

First and foremost, my Sports Club! Sports clubs are a great way to make friends and exercise while having fun. In my club, we practice pole fitness, which I had never done before joining the uni.

Despite starting from scratch, as soon as I joined the society, I fell in love with the discipline. The team welcomed me from the beginning, enhancing my confidence and love for this aerial art. This year I also had the pleasure of being the captain of the club, and I proudly placed in every single competition that we attended!

2. The relationship between lecturers and students

During my experience back in Italy, I found that teachers were seen as being on a superior level compared to students. For this reason, I was incredibly surprised to see the way my lecturers welcomed and assisted me on my university path.

As well as taking care of my education, they helped me incredibly with my future, giving me tips and boosting my confidence in moments of need.

I will be forever grateful for the passion they put into their job!

3. The Library

You have no idea how much time I spent in the library 😊 (I am a law student). The security guards and the cleaning staff know me by now!

As well as being a great place to study, it is also a great place to have lunch or breakfast with course mates or friends. The building offers three different zones, according to different study needs, computers, books, IT support, and a kitchen that serves hot and cold food from breakfast until lunch.

4. Unitemps

Being an international student, it was very important for me to work alongside my studies. During the weekends, I had the opportunity to work in a restaurant, while in the week I worked with the university’s International Office to help fellow international students.

I found this opportunity with Unitemps, a company where the university posts all the jobs available in the institution. With flexible working hours, my wages helped me to sustain some of my living expenses.

On Unitemps, you can also find jobs related to your field of study posted by your faculty.

5. Extracurricular activities

As part of my studies, I had the chance to participate in extracurricular activities organised by the School of Law. These were extremely valuable to gain employability skills and put in practice the theory studied during lectures!

One of the highlights of these opportunities was the multidisciplinary counter–terrorism exercise that I attended in May this year. During the experience, I was shadowed by real lawyers and police officers, who shared their experiences to advance my team’s argument to present in court.

We come to the end of the blog! I hope you found it useful 😊

If you are just starting out or continuing with your studies, my advice it to make the most of everything the university offers. In this way, you will have an amazing experience and meet people that will probably become friends for life.

I wish you the best of luck and a lovely time in Canterbury!

Byeee,

Virginia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending