The Student Room Group

Computer Science

Currently in Yr12, I’ve looked into computer science as a possible uni course but didn’t take it as a subject or have much experience apart from Intro to CS50, would I be able to still do it or not? (I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry)
Reply 1
Original post by Th0mas5s5s5
Currently in Yr12, I’ve looked into computer science as a possible uni course but didn’t take it as a subject or have much experience apart from Intro to CS50, would I be able to still do it or not? (I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry)

Most definitely :smile:. Even top universities like Cambridge only require Further Maths as a subject, and other universities only require Maths. There are a couple of unis that require computer science, but there's a myriad of courses you can do.

It is worth noting that you should take care to demonstrate your passion for Computer Science, because you still need to show these unis that you're a good fit (an Intro to CS50 and other MOOCs are a really great way of doing this!). What universities are looking for isn't exactly someone who codes all the time and is all-powerful at programming, but someone good at problem solving, good at maths (at least for degree CS), with the capabilities to perform well and expand within it. It's a common misconception that CS is all about coding, so hopefully that makes sense - you really don't need foundations it. There have been many getting into CS without GCSE computer science, let alone A-levels, so you would be most able to do it.

I hope this helped! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, and with your A-levels!

Hi there :smile:

You can definitely apply for the computer science course without having any prior qualifications or experience in it. At the moment the entry requirements for computer science at Kent currently stand at BBB or the equivalent in any Alevels. You can find more information here if you are wanting to get a better insight into the course structure: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ec_ug_late_app_2023&utm_content=subject_comp_sci_ads&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYOiBhC9ARIsANiEIfbcrp4IZL7UCaBE9AEfgJY3cSDUpOYmEidrayamd2iBDq_P8xX-EIgaAjBXEALw_wcB

Hope this helps!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Hey!

Check out the entry requirements for Swansea University! It currently says you need ABB-BBB in your A Levels to apply.

One of the most important things about coming to university is that you enjoy the subject you will be doing, so if Computer Science is your passion, then I say go for it! Swansea is a really friendly university set in beautiful surroundings and we'd love to have you as a student here and welcome you to our community.

Good Luck!

Hope - Swansea Student Ambassador and Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Hiya! I'm currently in my third year as a Computer Science student. You can most definitely get into a CS course at university. Most unis only require A-Level Maths and sometimes (but rarely) Further Maths. Computer Science is rarely a requirement for a CS degree.

It's also good that you've taken the initiative to enrol on a course like Intro to CS50 and putting that in your application proves that you're interested in the subject! If you want to further your interests, doing more online courses, short bootcamps, or personal programming projects are a good idea. Even reading books about the subject or watching relevant documentaries are good too.

While we're on the topic of CS at uni, I'd like to put in a good word for Lancaster! Our Computing department has recently done a bit of a revamp on the curriculum so more optional modules are being offered. You can see these modules on the course page linked here. There are also other Computing degrees such as Software Engineering, Cyber Security, Data Science, and some joint degrees which might interest you. I've had a great three years here and would recommend it!

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending