The Student Room Group

Can your EPQ be over 10k words long?

Hi all,

I am just about the finish my EPQ and been noticing that I have already reached over 12,000 words in my dissertation of my EPQ.
I do the Edexcel board where the recommended word count is 5000 but I've got classmates who've also done 10k, 12k and even 15k words for their EPQ.

So just wanted to ask any of you if you've also exceeded the recommended word count for your exam board? Did this effect the marks/ grade you got?
It shouldn't really be.
Anything over 6000 shows you either havent got the skills to write concisely, or your initial choice of title was inappropriate. Neither are good things.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AC2003
Hi all,

I am just about the finish my EPQ and been noticing that I have already reached over 12,000 words in my dissertation of my EPQ.
I do the Edexcel board where the recommended word count is 5000 but I've got classmates who've also done 10k, 12k and even 15k words for their EPQ.

So just wanted to ask any of you if you've also exceeded the recommended word count for your exam board? Did this effect the marks/ grade you got?

Yh I did the edexcel EPQ this year too and my project ended up being 16k words and I was given 53/54 by my assessor at school so I did not lose marks for how long it was.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
I wrote over 10k and so did lots of other people at my school. If you are just waffling then it may impact your grade negatively, but if your writing is to the point and the extra words add something of value, it will probably boost your mark (as you're researching more in depth, etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending